Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if you were using THIS speaker cable it would attenuate the Audience and all other interfering Ambient Noise:

TRANSPARENT REFERENCE XL SPEAKER CABLE | AUDIO EMOTION | PRE OWNED

Go on, buy this (Muggle)! :)

I just couldn;t resist...
AudioQuest RJ/E Diamond Ethernet Cable
For roughly 5000 pounds you can actually own 5 whole meters of cat7 ethernet cable. Bargain!

For reference, 1200mhz cat7 cable in bulk won;t cost you more than 1-2euro/m (inc tax)

OK, me out, won;t pollute this thread anymore.

I don't see how the nc500 can be considered as an upgrade of the nc400.
Its power capacity is identical (albeit optimized for different loads), and the nc400 already has a state of the art discrete buffer.
To me the nc400 is the better unit for home use.
IMHO users needing those additional 3dB of SPL capacity and/or looking for 110dB+ levels should really start looking for higher efficiency speakers (with other benefits as a bonus) ;)

hypex ncore

I don't see how the nc500 can be considered as an upgrade of the nc400.
Its power capacity is identical (albeit optimized for different loads), and the nc400 already has a state of the art discrete buffer.
To me the nc400 is the better unit for home use.
IMHO users needing those additional 3dB of SPL capacity and/or looking for 110dB+ levels should really start looking for higher efficiency speakers (with other benefits as a bonus) ;)

The power capacity isn't the same. It's much more powerful for 98% of speakers on the market. And with a dual mono version, having twice the power reserves in the supplies vs a dual mono NC400 does make a difference.

It could either be an upgrade, or downgrade subjectively depending on the buffer used. But since this forum is called DIYaudio, tweaking this buffer may be something interesting to try for the target audience of this forum.

Last edited:
What's the BOM on the Job-225/250 or John Westlake's 8200MB?

Job is Goldmund Circuitry made in Switzerland AFAIK with many owners bring ex nc400...about same cost as DIY nc400 (claim is better, or more energetic midrange, an important factor for me as mids is where most of the music is)

8200MB (AUDIOLAB) are Douglas Self designed originally...JW is selling them only 50% of RRP at £900 pair; or with new Discrete Input Buffer, tube based front end Balanced IC with Vishay ZFOIL Resistors for £1400 pair. Theses are BNIB, not used.

I was also considering Musical Fidelity M6PRX ex dem around £1600 ...someone on AVForums went through a pile of amps incl nc400 and settled on M6PRX with Monitor Audio PL200, which I now own

Similar power specs

Tbh I have tried to emulate a lot of different things with my TAG McLaren Processor as it as EQ (heralded as the best for many years when it came out) but it doesn't give you that expressiveness of other equipment...Parametric EQ can help with tone, but it's not Voodoo :)

I'm still interested to hear nCore 400 vs 500 ...I'm hoping it's not just SPL; I've seldom found amplifiers to be just about MPMO

nc500 may have a different midrange...let's hear!

Tbh I have tried to emulate a lot of different things with my TAG McLaren Processor as it as EQ (heralded as the best for many years when it came out) but it doesn't give you that expressiveness of other equipment...Parametric EQ can help with tone, but it's not Voodoo :)

I'm still interested to hear nCore 400 vs 500 ...I'm hoping it's not just SPL; I've seldom found amplifiers to be just about MPMO

nc500 may have a different midrange...let's hear!

The best way to hear is to buy one. Hard to hear over the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.