Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Briding add some complexity - but not that much.
For a nc500 build, compared to a regular nc400 build, you have to add a connection board as well as a input buffer board. I think the connection board is available to buy, but I don't know about the input buffer.
So the actual build of a nc500 based amp seems to me to be much more complex than building a nc400 based amp.

Anyone know if you can buy complete input buffers, or will you have to build them yourself?

I didn't realize that the NC500 was a DIY module. Is someone selling the units alone to the DIY community now?

hypex ncore

Not as far as I know, so we probably shouldn't be discussing the nc500 here in the diyAudio forum...

It sounds to me like 1 or more companies with OEM accounts are selling the units direct to people. If I was an OEM manufacturer of a stand alone amp based on the NC500, I would be pretty choked about this. If Hypex wanted this, it would probably be listed for sale along with their other DIY modules.

I don't think there's any problems discussing the NC500's here. Because you can still modify finished amplifiers based on the NC500.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like 1 or more companies with OEM accounts are selling the units direct to people.

In that case I assume Hypex are aware of it by now, and take appropriate measures if they feel the need.

I don't think there's any problems discussing the NC500's here. Because you can still modify finished amplifiers based on the NC500.
I don't see any problem in discussing *modifying* nc500's, but this is probably not the best place to discuss commercial offerings based on the nc500.

I would still like to hear about direct shootout with nc400 vs nc500 (vanilla assembly) builds by people on this Forum, please! I am not fussed about how the tests are done, blind or not - if people who have nc400 are moving on, or sticking with nc400 am interested to hear the who how what where why.

In my opinion, when enough User reports come to similar conclusions, I'm likely to believe an element of truth where there is commonality.

Mr Julf will probably object but he is the resident thread Objectionist...which leaves us with balanced results (don't be afraid of us nonetheless) I reckon :)

In that case I assume Hypex are aware of it by now, and take appropriate measures if they feel the need.

I don't see any problem in discussing *modifying* nc500's, but this is probably not the best place to discuss commercial offerings based on the nc500.

I think discussing the technology and the sound of commercial amps using the NC500 or NC1200 is okay. But using this thread for direct advertisement of a commercial product might be crossing the line.

hypex ncore

I would still like to hear about direct shootout with nc400 vs nc500 (vanilla assembly) builds by people on this Forum, please! I am not fussed about how the tests are done, blind or not - if people who have nc400 are moving on, or sticking with nc400 am interested to hear the who how what where why.

In my opinion, when enough User reports come to similar conclusions, I'm likely to believe an element of truth where there is commonality.

Mr Julf will probably object but he is the resident thread Objectionist...which leaves us with balanced results (don't be afraid of us nonetheless) I reckon :)

I'll tell you right now. Bruno's discrete buffer on the NC400 is much better than the LM4562 based input buffer board Hypex sells. As far as the amp goes, they sound exactly the same. Only the NC500 is more powerful. The NC500 has the potential to sound better, but that requires skill, and cost to achieve.

Last edited:

It could also simply be a result of groupthink. If the audible differences are small (or non-existent), collective confirmation bias will ensure convergence of opinions...

I object to that! :)

If one of us claims 2 + 2 is 4, and another that it is 5, is 4.5 then a "balanced result"? :)

Last edited:
I'll tell you right now. Bruno's discrete buffer on the NC400 is much better than the LM4562 based input buffer board Hypex sells. As far as the amp goes, they sound exactly the same. Only the NC500 is more powerful. The NC500 has the potential to sound better, but that requires skill, and cost to achieve.

I mostly agree - my only modification would be "the NC500 has the potential to sound better as long as the load doesn't exhibit a very low impedance and can benefit from extra power".

1446998631-20151108.png

I mostly agree - my only modification would be "the NC500 has the potential to sound better as long as the load doesn't exhibit a very low impedance and can benefit from extra power".

The amp is fine at low impedance's. It's only a 30w difference at 2 ohm. As I mentioned earlier, they handled driving Martin Logan's that dip down to 1 ohm with ease at ear shredding levels. The higher power output of the amps in the range 98% of speakers on the market operate at, will allow the amp to put out more power with less distortion if one requires. So this is 1 area the NC500 has the advantage.

The 2nd area comes from the buffer. And in this case it will be a truly subjective better based on personal tastes.

The amp is fine at low impedance's. It's only a 30w difference at 2 ohm. As I mentioned earlier, they handled driving Martin Logan's that dip down to 1 ohm with ease at ear shredding levels. The higher power output of the amps in the range 98% of speakers on the market operate at, will allow the amp to put out more power with less distortion if one requires. So this is 1 area the NC500 has the advantage.

Right. So at a low impedance the nc500 doesn't have any advantage - the advantage only shows up at higher impedances, as I wrote. The advantage is 3 dB more headroom at 8 ohm.

The 2nd area comes from the buffer. And in this case it will be a truly subjective better based on personal tastes.
Yes, so that really goes into the "different" rather than "better" category.

So are we of the opinion that the nc400 vs nc1200 is an improvement, but nc500 is not the 'bridge' to the nc1200 - it's just a variant of the nc400!?

An amplifier has 2 parts, the input stage and the output stage. If we were to just compare the output stages, the 500 and 1200 would have an advantage over the 400 based on higher power output with less distortion.

But it's simply not an apples to apples comparison when comparing the different output stages, when combined with different input stages. The NC400 has a built in input stage that can't be bypassed. Hypex doesn't sell that input stage to be used in combination with the NC500 or 1200. I'm guessing the Mola Mola Kaluga uses something similar though.

hypex ncore

To be precise, the nc400 has lower distortion at "normal" power levels - but the 500/1200 can go higher in power (up to 3 dB, in the case of the nc500) before clipping.

If you were to measure the distortion levels of the NC500 and 1200 at the 4 ohm rating of 400w of the NC400, you'll probably find that the distortion is lower than the 1% rated for the NC400. It would be nice to see an distortion and noise plot at the different power levels. But my ears tell me the NC500's are distorting much less at high output levels with my 4 ohm speakers.

I think having twice the power reserves on tap with dual SMPS1200A700's helps in the dynamics department as well.

Listening to the DXD version of the Sheffield drum and track disk with 1 SMPS1200A700 vs 2, you can definitely feel the difference.

Last edited:
Julf, I do have to ask - have you ever actually compared an nc400 to an nc1200 (and not just on paper)...because I have not come across one single comment or review yet that does not claim that the nc1200 IS in a different league - detail (extended highs) and midrange being the most noticeable!

The nc1200 I am likely to believe is superior and not just on raw power...Bruno would be foolish to make the perfect DIY amp that equals his current Prize piece of work and nobody would pay £10K

Status
Not open for further replies.