Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Self made with just 2 wires. Let me ask you.... if we take pin 1 out of the discussion, would it really matter if RCA ground was connected to cold or hot XLR/nCore? I mean, if nCore is really symmetrical balanced, it should not matter really, should it? Now as I have wired it with Cold pin to ground/ampon it does, but if it was not? Then it should not matter rigth?

//

Self made with just 2 wires.

2 symmetric wires, or conductor + shield?

Let me ask you.... if we take pin 1 out of the discussion, would it really matter if RCA ground was connected to cold or hot XLR/nCore? I mean, if nCore is really symmetrical balanced, it should not matter really, should it? Now as I have wired it with Cold pin to ground/ampon it does, but if it was not? Then it should not matter rigth?
Indeed. Doesn't matter (well, except if you are a believer in "absolute polarity").

So you don't have anything to drain earth currents?
Pin 1 needs to go somewhere or you've lost the reason why balanced (xlr) gives benefits
The XLR Pin 1 in a balanced analog audio interconnect is a shield not a ground. This shield is always connected to the chassis at the send end, but it is sometimes not connected at the receive end. Other times a hybrid connection is made at the receive end using a series capacitor (or anR/C network).

Yes, I should have more accurately said that at some point you need to make sure that currents in the shield are drained to ground.

I also made assumptions that something in the interconnect cable was connected to the shield and therefore that there was something to connect to pin 1

TNT

Why have you twisted the nampon and shield wires with the signal wires?
These don't contain the desired signal, so IF they contain any signal at all you are helping to induce it into the desired signal.

What have to done with your mains earth?

BTW I use rca -> din interconnects to interconnect 2 systems which are 15m apart and use a twisted pair only (single cat5 pair) and there's no hum in that system). However, I wait your reply re mains earthing.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, I first searched for a ground to connect to ampon and found that the 4th socket in the input connector on the nCore unit was indeed ground so I just shorted these 2 to get sound out of the amp. Then I pondered on what to do with pin 1 in my XLR at the input. Perhaps against better wisdom, I connected pin 1 to the ampon/ground. This worked fine with my balanced out DAC. But I have ment to disconnect this to see what happens as I realize this is not really how to wire these up. I will try it today at home.

The single end / MBL test opportunity is gone so I don't have this problem really anymore and I will refrain from trying to connect these to any SE source. But it would be good to understand what/where the wrong was done.

//

My

nCore amp will not be silent (no hum buzz) unless the sheild connection from the NC-400 module connects to the ground of the source component.
So in your test situation, with no chassis, this would mean:

Connect sheild and nAmpon to pin 1, on your XLR to RCA cable, connect pin 1 at XLR end to G at RCA end, connect pin 2 XLR end to hot at RCA end, and connect pin 3 at XLR end to G at RCA end. This approach will silence your amp modules.

Do not ask me why, but even with my true balanced source, pin 1 must reference the sheild wire in the amp, and the ground of my source component, for the amp not to buzz or hum.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK Barrows, this is how I understand it should work. But without any source connected but with the 2 wire interconnect, with pin1 and pin 2 (or pin3) shorted and plugged in to the XLR input, I got 1,4 V DC on the output. It was as if when connecting ampon/earth to one of the nCore hot or cold, there was a DC generated on the input (it was equivalent to the DCout/gain)...

Have any of you tried this and confirm that you don't get this?

//

more info needed...

do this:

1. Measure DC from your source and let us know, how many mV?

2. Do not connect speaker

3. Plug source into amp, and power up amp

4. Let everything warm up for an hour or more

5. Measure for DC at speaker outputs

6. DC at speaker output should be <50 mV under these conditions, mine is ~10 mV (my source, DAC, is capacitor coupled so it has 0 DC on its output)

so...

So, I tried to reproduce this at home...

No source, no load.

If I hook ampon + earth + either cold or hot together -> raises 2,5 V DC on output. This was done on the XLR input with 15cm 3 wire cable hooked to the nCore.

Why is this?

Connect a source. Make sure Nampon is pulled to ground, when the amp is muted (Nampon not pulled to ground) there is a little more DC on output. It is fine for nampon to be connected to XLR pin 1 for testing, but subsequently that pin 1 must be ground referenced somewhere (from the source ground). Nampon will not be pulled low otherwise. As long as you have no DC with source connected, you are all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.