Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought flat top diffuse normal brightness LEDs from the local electronics store. all the local stores have a panel with all the LEDs they offer lit on display so you can choose easily.
I would not call LEDs exactly hard to source parts :) the only LEDs that you don't find at the regular parts store are the special brand ones like Nichia but those are super high brightness types (I'm using those as idiot lights on my bike but they're almost at flashlight intensity level).

I didn't think so either but maybe I'm just bad at choosing the correct search terms. I am really struggling to find flat top 3mm low intensity LEDs. I don't have a particularly local electronics store either so would prefer to buy online. I can find other colours, other sizes and plenty of round topped versions but not what I really want - there must be some out there?

Hi Guys

With all this talk of switches and LED's etc, just remember that for 50 euros Hypex do a Softstart module which, I appreciate is primarily for use with transformers to prevent inrush currents, but it can be used to distribute the mains voltage to the SMPS's. It's a piece of cake to set up voltage for 230V or 115V and you can easily use a switch together with dual LED's ('Standby' or 'On' ) or a push button with just one LED (on it's own or incorporated in a 'vandal' switch) and all you have to do is connect up and not worry about resistors etc.......Just a thought

Guys, in order to keep this thread clean (or as clean as possible since we've already discussed all "hot" audio-related topics :rolleyes:), I've opened a separate potential Group-Buy thread for the aforementioned SiliconRay enclosure.

268983d1330432554-potential-group-buy-aluminium-enclosures-dscn9342_r.jpg

More info and pics here.

Last edited:
50 euros for a soft start module is an astronomic price IMO. I would never pay that price for what is the most basic circuit imaginable.
second, I fail to understand which problem is that soft start module solving regarding indicator LEDs.

If 50 euros is 'astronomic' then the 1010 euros for 2x NC400 and 2x SMPS600 must be in another galaxy! and when you add tax and p+p, even further out...
I take it Mr PP, that you will not be buying NCore anytime soon?

My point was, that even though this is DIY, some people like things to be 'Plug'N'Play and as Hypex have made a 'DIY' power amp module which is more 'Plug'N'Play' than most, then for a modest extra outlay, the Softstart module is a neat way of distributing the nasty mains in your 'DIY' box with some easy to understand connections for switches and LED's etc....that's all.

I realise that the majority of DIYers understand more about electronics than the average 'Joe' but from reading some of the comments on this thread, there are more than a few guys out there who could do with a simple (and safe) way of building and ultimately enjoying, probably the best power amps they will ever hear in their lives.

If 50 euros is 'astronomic' then the 1010 euros for 2x NC400 and 2x SMPS600 must be in another galaxy! and when you add tax and p+p, even further out...
I take it Mr PP, that you will not be buying NCore anytime soon?
the NCORE is not a basic electronics circuit anyone can build in a day while a soft start circuit is. the NCORE is an unique product while I have 4 soft start modules with thermal shutdown in the drawer which I bought for ~30 euros total :) the fact that Hypex is making a great amp doesn't mean that we sould even buy nuts and bolts from them :) just a realistic point of view, IMO.
in the end it's one's decision but we shouldn't just jump and click on "order now" just because that someone posted a link :)

I just want an LED with a series resistor all nicely connected and shrink wrapped as it's the neatest solution and takes up no room. If necessary I will experiment with resistors until I find one that is right with the LEDs I've ordered or otherwise use a 3mm light pipe but I can't help thinking there must be the LED I'm looking for out there somewhere given I've found them in red, green, yellow and even orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.