Hypex Ncore NC500MP Failure

Hello,

I've bought one year ago two hypex NC500MP modules, and mount them in two differents enclosures, and run without problem.
After power shutdown in my house, the two cards are burned !?!
In one of the board , the main fuse have burn , and the seconde one, the capacitor C44 have explode, but the main fuse is ok...
No burning traces on board or componants ...
1659358510468.png

1659358631523.png

My pre-amplifier, DAC, Computer are Ok.
Do you had this experience with Hypex amplifier board ?

Thank you,Best regards

Hello Sancho,

1 "Bought a year ago" , i quess that means there is still a warranty on the product, try the seller.
2 Hypex service is very good, if the seller can't help you, try Hypex/ agent, maybe they charge you, but i doubt it.
3 In fact its a mains problem, the first module acted ok, the safety device (fuse) blew, thats ok fuses cost next to nothing, second module is a mystery to me.

P.s. I have been using Hypex modules (UCD 400 HXR) for 12 years now, no problems at all, so unfortunately my help is restricted to the above.

Good luck,
Rob.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have had a few Hypex UCD400hG HXr modules blow from a tube preamp turn on / turn off transient...I managed to get them all back in service by replacing the transistors, with a little direction from Hypex. These guys are very helpful.

After blowing an expensive Ncore 400 module, I finally put in a 60 second delay circuit in my preamp...duh. No issues anymore...

Replace the fuse and blown cap, test the transistors on bottom and you could be ok...

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your replys

I've contacted Hypex Support, and diag the boards with a tech.
When i've checked the components G1 & G2 , i've see burned track under the relay K1.
After desoldering K1 relay, I've see a clear broken track !
I've fixed this track with a solid copper wire and replace K1 relay after testing it.

I've replaced the burned fuse of 6.3A on the first board.
Replaced the capacitor C44 on the second board, and tested output transistors, and everything sems to be ok !

IMG-2106.JPG
IMG-2110.JPG

When dismantling the cards I also replaced a certain number of low cost brand capacitors , and upgrade coupling capacitor with WIMA MKP10

IMG-2303.JPG

Before & After
IMG-2268.JPG

Thank you again Everyone for your help !

Hi Everyone
I ask you again because the repair lasted only 7 days on one of the two boards.
But not the same problem, this time the music is distorted, and I have a DC offset of 250mV...
I replaced the IRF640 / 52N20 & BYQ28E on the board, but still the same problem.
Do you have an idea ?
Thanks in advance,

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Then use physical fitting capacitors as now you have added 2 antennas. Extending lead wires in modern (switching) electronics is bad practice, sorry. Uninsulated as well.....

Some questions:

1. Does your preamplifier have a muting circuit? That may protect your amplifiers from such issues. It is a revolutionary idea to some but muting outputs at power on/off is not a luxury.

2. Also I deduct the devices were powered on unattended? If so please shutdown stuff when not used. It will reduce the chances for breakdowns and even better: it will reduce the chances for unpleasant surprises when coming home.

3. Do you have any protection against mains surges? If not it is now the time to have learned that you might need them :) After blackouts surges of mains voltage are not uncommon.

It seems you should have the module repaired by Hypex. It is maybe a good idea to stop solving it yourself as it may cost you a woofer all of a sudden.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Some questions:

1. Does your preamplifier have a muting circuit? That may protect your amplifiers from such issues. It is a revolutionary idea to some but muting outputs at power on/off is not a luxury.
1 - I use this preamplifier board / Aleph P1.7 with relay , at power on ~5 secondes febore relay switch on.
1663067292894.png

But in case of fast power outage ... I'm note sure the temporisation work properly...
I think I will install a softstart / power on delay, before the power transformer, like John65b
I have had a few Hypex UCD400hG HXr modules blow from a tube preamp turn on / turn off transient...I managed to get them all back in service by replacing the transistors, with a little direction from Hypex. These guys are very helpful.

After blowing an expensive Ncore 400 module, I finally put in a 60 second delay circuit in my preamp...duh. No issues anymore...

Replace the fuse and blown cap, test the transistors on bottom and you could be ok...
2. Also I deduct the devices were powered on unattended? If so please shutdown stuff when not used. It will reduce the chances for breakdowns and even better: it will reduce the chances for unpleasant surprises when coming home.
2 - When my hypex modules failed first time, I playing the music when the power outage coming ( Fast On / Off / On ) ...
I always power off my DAC / Pre / Power Amp.
3 - It seems you should have the module repaired by Hypex. It is maybe a good idea to stop solving it yourself as it may cost you a woofer all of a sudden.
3 - Modules out of warrenty ...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It would be wise to make that 5 seconds 10...30 seconds to cater for intermittent brownouts. My experience with 60 seconds is that some think nothing happens and start switching the device off/on/off/on:) A blinking red or orange bicolor LED changing to green when unmuting is understood by most. Also check if it immediately switches off at power down. No experience with Aleph P1.7 but the shorting outputs to GND muting really is most effective in preventing DC pulses going to the power amplifiers. With tube devices 60 seconds is a good choice.

Out of warranty.... Bummer! Also not really a warranty issue I think.

And eh... please think of surge protection. An MOV is effective in protecting valuable equipment but always with a fuse!

Last edited:
Hello,

I've bought one year ago two hypex NC500MP modules, and mount them in two differents enclosures, and run without problem.
After power shutdown in my house, the two cards are burned !?!
In one of the board , the main fuse have burn , and the seconde one, the capacitor C44 have explode, but the main fuse is ok...
No burning traces on board or componants ...
View attachment 1076999
View attachment 1077000

My pre-amplifier, DAC, Computer are Ok.
Do you had this experience with Hypex amplifier board ?

Thank you,Best regards
Hello, I have the same problem, i'm really a beginner, can you shortly explain to me where is the fuse on this board ?
Thanks
F

Hi Everyone
I ask you again because the repair lasted only 7 days on one of the two boards.
But not the same problem, this time the music is distorted, and I have a DC offset of 250mV...
I replaced the IRF640 / 52N20 & BYQ28E on the board, but still the same problem.
Do you have an idea ?
Thanks in advance,
DCOffset cause for my hypex NC500MP : Broken T47 (BC817) , after replacement, everything is Ok !

1671540668854.png

Hello Fab37
The fuse is here :
View attachment 1121365
Remove aluminium back plate to desolder fuse.
Replace with T6.3A fuse
View attachment 1121366
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Unfortunately the fuse is good...
I managed to find a new card on Ebay, and my Dynaudio 18S subwoofer is working again... But I'd like to fix this board, I'll try the T47 transistor!
Can someone test the card to know if it's easily repairable or not on this forum, any contact?
Regards
F