• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been one hell of a day! Input buffer board rev B done all working and tested OK
On way back to me for evaluation.
First production Nord Ones made from start to finish for first customer serial no 1001
On test ready for shipment tomorrow. To say I'm knackered but over the moon is an understatement.
Nord%20Buffer%20board%20Rev%20b_zpsmw0ndvxt.png

IMG_1874_zpssm5elhdd.jpg

Been one hell of a day! Input buffer board rev B done all working and tested OK
On way back to me for evaluation.
First production Nord Ones made from start to finish for first customer serial no 1001
On test ready for shipment tomorrow. To say I'm knackered but over the moon is an understatement.
Nord%20Buffer%20board%20Rev%20b_zpsmw0ndvxt.png

IMG_1874_zpssm5elhdd.jpg

Looking good.
Getting excited too 1001 are going to be mine

OK

Just spoken to my brother and indeed they are there. They are the brown ceramic disc caps Tantalum next to the Hypex Voltage regulators. They are there to decouple the power rails and to stop high frequency oscillations.

So those caps are on the output of the regs? Typically, for decoupling an opamp, the best approach is to put the final decoupling caps right at the input pins of the opamp itself with as short a trace as possible. I am no EE myself, but this is pretty much standard practice, and I expect that the data sheet of the LM Opamps will state this in their implementation notes. I guess if you measure it all in circuit and find no oscillations then there is no problem, but I would be a little surprised if the Hypex board does not have decoupling caps of around .1 uF (either ceramic or film) right at the input pins of the opamps?

So those caps are on the output of the regs? Typically, for decoupling an opamp, the best approach is to put the final decoupling caps right at the input pins of the opamp itself with as short a trace as possible. I am no EE myself, but this is pretty much standard practice, and I expect that the data sheet of the LM Opamps will state this in their implementation notes. I guess if you measure it all in circuit and find no oscillations then there is no problem, but I would be a little surprised if the Hypex board does not have decoupling caps of around .1 uF (either ceramic or film) right at the input pins of the opamps?

Luckily we, and Hypex are! Hypex provided the schematic, layout and bill of materials to fast track our design. The LM4562 is very tolerant in this respect we have taken this into account in our design with the decoupling capacitors. Even this is over the top in terms of design and production. We want to make a board that is highly flexible in terms of Op Amp change and there individual requirements.

That drives me insane when she does that, soon gets a firm ticking off! Dr Dre would not be allowed through the threshold so a non issue!
Here is the board in action complete with glowing Hypex Voltage Regs and Sparkos Labs Op Amps. Given the performance of the Op Amp I'm going to try there Voltage regulators also.
IMG_1904_zpsp77kmr5x.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.