• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hybrid OTL Circlotron idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Although not a circlotron, I wanted to share a prototype circuit I built this past week. The output is simular to what has been bouncing around this thread, tube controlling a bjt with its cathode. I used triode strapped 6aq5's driven by 6j6 in long tail pair configuration. I used adjustable fixed bias on the 6aq5's to set idle current through the output bjt's.
The output transformer is easy to wind yourself. Primary is 200mH center tapped and the secondary is 100mH winding. Simply a 2:1 step down. Be sure to use heavy enough wire to hold at least 3 amps.
The biggest shortcomming is low gain. Adding a grounded cathode stage after the long tail pair to increase gain made the amp unstable (motorboating). Since i am using fixed bias on the 6aq5's, this leaves me using 100k max grid resistors, so using something like a 12ax7 for the long tail pair is not a good option. So now I am working on a preamp for it.
The output stage can muster about 35 watts before grid current of the 6aq5's sets in. It is biased to run in AB with 100ma idle current through the bjt's.

Attachments

• 6aq5 classb.gif
    6aq5 classb.gif
    34.6 KB · Views: 265
jerluwoo said:
Have not tried using a variac,since I don't own one. Do you think using a regulated heater supply would help with this problem? I'm just using ac for the heaters atm.

It may help, but tubes tend to lose emission with age so you will have to adjust bias frequently. I would definitely increase the voltage that power transistors in order to increase their emitter resistors' values.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.