Hurst Motor problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got a Hurst 3001-001 115vac synchronous. This seems to be the motor of choice for many DIY'ers. As received I wired it with the supplied capacitor and it starts and run fine until ... I put a pulley on it. It won't start with the pulley installed and will only run if I hand start it. After that it seems to be right on the edge torque-wise. My platter weighs about 6 lbs and spins very freely. Using a round rubber belt.

Is it normal to have to hand start this motor under load?

TKS.

Shaded pole is just a way to impart direction bias in an AC motor, be it synchronous or asynchronous. A motor needs to be synchronous to drive a turntable at constant speed, the Hurst uses 2 phase and a run-capacitor, a more efficient and powerful technique that shaded pole.

The Hurst motor can't overcome the static friction of the platter system at rest it seems. A more powerful motor is needed if there's not a mechanical fault adding unnecessary friction to the system. Perhaps the round belt is too tight or too stiff, thin flat belts are commonly used with turntables.

Pulley and belt? Or just pulley??

Is the pulley dragging on the motor frame?

No drag. The motor does not want to start when the pulley is installed. The pulley is a three step for 33/45/78 and weighs about 2 grams. If I put on a lighter pulley the motor will start. When connected to the turntable with a thread it will run only if I hand start it. Just seems to not have the torque needed for the application although many seem to use it. I am at a loss to understand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.