HUMAN speakers woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

has anyone build a speakers based on HUMAN speakers 6" or 8" woofers?

How do they sound in comparison to "modern" high end drivers?

I plan to use them in an open baffle application with the HUMAN tweeter and a big 15" woofer ;)

Best regards
Stephan

reins said:
Hi all,

has anyone build a speakers based on HUMAN speakers 6" or 8" woofers?

Stephan

I'm putting new surrounds on the 8-inch woofers from my old 202s as soon as the kit comes. I plan on building new cabinets and essentially converting the 202s to four modular 150s, with pairs wired in parallel.

I've never seen a freq response curve for the EPI woofers, but they were supposedly designed to have a very natural rolloff so they could run free. They were designed in tandem with the concave tweeters. The only crossover component is a 8-10 mike capacitor to bring the crossover down to about 1600-1800 Hz.

As for the new versions, I have no experience. I think they've been tweaked slightly, but are still close to the original design and performance. I loved my EPIs because they were very laid back, with great dispersion while maintaining an excellent stereo image. Very easy to listen to. Old school sound, not forward at all. The bass was somewhat thumpy. Ruy Howell, custodian of all things EPI, says that can be improved by increasing the cabinet volume to as much as 2.5 cubic feet per woofer. My new cabinets will be just shy of 2 cubic feet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.