• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

hum/buzz with pot all the way up

Hum and noise pot turned all the way down.

Hallo, terrible hum and noise on my new DIY tube balanced pre amp, with pot turned all the way down, counter clock wise, any idea ??? I m getting mad. Lite Audio PCB and values were wrong, mostly were changed.

Attachments

• pre pot 1.jpg
    pre pot 1.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 56
hum and noise

We don t have the schematic diagram, we changed a lot from the PCB--Lite Audio, all wrong, my mate says it s a faulty pot, he says it happened before with such a brand EIZZ, but I think it s a valve. The noise is only present at the volume full down, if you raise it it disappears. !!!! Thanks for the attention.

Joined 2011
Connect a small 10 ohm resistor between the pot ground terminal and the audio ground.
Do this for both channels. This reduces ground loop problems.

If that does not help, it is likely a bad pot. Sometimes an internal rivet connects the
pot terminal to the pot element, and there is a poor or oxidized connection that cannot be fixed.

Thanks. The rather heavy pot, 4 sections, balanced, fell from my hands before mounting it, could have been that but at the beginning of test use did not show this problem, then it showed, but only 10 minutes after switching the pre amp on, not it s always present, can't it be the 12au7 tubes? I don t have replacement tubes to test, ordered them, in the post .....coming.