How to vacum press the veneer on the corners?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, this is my first forum thread and I am NOT positive I am putting it in the correct spot. So if I am NOT would somebody please direct me to the right place?

My question is about vacuum pressing veneer to the corner of the substrate. I plan on using Baltic Birch and I know how to vacuum press veneer to a flat panel but my question is how to vacuum Press on a corner? Or is that possible without splitting the veneer in two?

Or maybe I should build the cabinets and vacuum press two opposites sides of the cabinet at a time. I don't even know if that's possible because of the pressure that has built up inside the vacuum bag. Would that be too much for the cabinet to handle? Would the cabinet collapse under the pressure?

If anyone has ever done this would you please let me know how it's done? I am attaching A few pictures of what I am talking about even though I would imagine anyone that has built a speaker already knows what the corner of hey veneered speaker looks like.

Thank you very much, Eric

Hello Jonsnell, thank you very much for your reply to my question but I do not think that you understand what I am asking.

I am going to do what they call vacuum press veneering using a vinyl bag and a suction pump to suck all of the air out of the vinyl bag which creates many pounds of pressure per square inch which helps secure the veneer to the substrate for many many years.

If you search for" vacuum pressing veneer" on YouTube there will be many videos showing this method. But none of the videos show how to vacuum press veneer on a corner and I'm not sure it can be done. But if anybody that knows how to vacuum press a corner would you please explain to me how to do it.

Thank you very much, Eric

I think I can help you.

When I use the vacuum press and make round corners, I use masking tape to hold the veneer in place, then I let the veneer does not stand out too much on each side of the object there is a risk that it folds and becomes a bump at the edge. To fix this problem, I let the veneer only be 2mm wider than the object to be veneered lengthwise as long as the object. On a turntable plinth I have veneered I let the veneer overlap on the back , then I leveled surface with a chisel.

Try the first taping veneer without glue to make sure that everything works and is good , then it is just to do it with glue, the glue I use is a common wood glue of good quality. The tape is only short stripes which are placed at regular distances and 90 degrees to the veneer grain.

I hope this will help you.

Anders

Eric,
Unfortunately your photos didn't turn out. In my experience I always cut the veneer, which will provide a nice sharp corner.
Secondly, while I am not sure on what it is your are veneering (see above photo comment), if built properly it should not buckle under vacuum. I've made portable humidors with .25" walls which were more than strong enough to withstand the vac bag.

To the O.P.: Did your question get answered sufficiently? I'm genuinely asking that even though I feel like I already know the answer...

Before proceeding with my reply though, I have a couple questions of my own: (btw, in your original post you said that you were attaching pics. That doesn't seem to have happened...)

1) How big are these cabinets that you're veneering? (Dimensions within an inch or two are fine)
2) What thickness of wood?
3) Is there a specific reason you're wanting to use the vacuum press, and are you married to the idea or open to others?
4) What type of veneer? (Naked, cross-banded, paper-backed?)
5) What kind of adhesive are you planning on using?

6) Lastly, (and this is the one that makes me think your question wasn't answered): What did you mean when you said "Or is that possible without splitting the veneer in two?"??
Are you talking about folding the veneer around the corner so that it's seamless?

Your question isn't as simple as something like "How do I veneer around a corner?". These other questions each play a role in determining the answer to your own question...

For what it's worth at the moment though, I can't help but wonder if you might be going in the wrong direction and if another method might serve you better. Before I can make any suggestion, however, these other questions have to be answered...

*For the record: I'm a remodeling contractor/cabinetry guy and details are my thing. Before that, I was part of a custom carbon fiber boat-building crew. I've done a little bit with vacuum bags and veneers... :rolleyes: That's not to say that I claim to be a pro at it, because I don't. (This is the internet. Claims don't mean jack ****.) I'd be happy to at least give you my opinion and perhaps a suggestion or two though...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.