How to use this transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've got a toroidal transformer that I'd like to find out how to use. This tranny's got four pairs of wires on the secondary side. The spec says that each pair gives 42VAC/4.64A (for a total 780VA). I want to use this for a 2 channel amp, so if two pairs of outlets could be combined for +/- 60VDC it would be great.

In a perfect world I would just connect two wires and use this as ground. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work. When I messure the output voltages I get 42VAC over each pair of wires, but when I check voltages accross the pairs I get something like 40V and 2V (not 42V and 0V).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this transformer might be wired, or how to use it for +/- 60V supply rails?

-truls

HI,

First try to swap the connected wires i.e if wire 2 of secondary 1 is connected to wire 2 of secondary 2 then connect wire 2 of secondary 1 to wire 1 of secondary 2 and measure again. If the secondaries are separate (i.e. not connected physically which you can verfy by using a resistance meter) it should work.

The 42 VAC will however maybe not give 60 VDC as 42*1.414 = 59.4 without taking into account the losses in the bridge.

/UrSv

It works!

I tried to do what peranders says before. I don't know why it didn't work then, maybe I had a bad wire or something.

Next question; the secondaries measure 42VAC without load, can I count this as 59V in the circuit, or will the voltage of the tranny fall under load?

-truls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.