how to use the correct speaker for car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

i was wondering how to use correctly the two speakers on the back of my car..

i have two tweeters at the front and i need to place the two rear speakers..

now... should i get speakers that match the power that my amp is putting out? or should i get speakers that are a little more power? or a little less power then what the amp draws ?

cause it seemed to sound right to use a little higher power speakers in order to avoid getting distortion sounds and/or harming the speaker in case the amp is turned all the way up

any help appreciated

thanks!

cheers :angel:

It can be a complete guess, but try to avoid speakers that force the amp to its max, otherwise you will clip the signal and it won't have the punch. Don't find speakers that are to low and the amp easily over powers them. You have to find a happy medium. This is why car stereo is such a struggle, with everyone testing under perfect conditions it tends to put out huge numbers. Then you try using it in the same way with a little different setup and you can't get full advertised power. I've currently got two subs on the way and I'm going to bridge them to make 2 ohms, however then when bridged the power will be halved. So if I've got 1200 watt speakers I went out and bought a 2400 watt amp. So each sub will get 600 watts at 50% of output on the amp, then I may move it up to about 70% and leave them meaning the amp will be safe and the sub will probably never see their max power.Of course setting it up will take testing and time, but I won't blow the speakers and probably will never hit a not hard enough to fry the amp.

Infinity_Addict said:
try to match, def do not overpower the speakers. a little overpower is ok, maybe 10-15W RMS, but not much more. it also depends on the speaker size, are you getting 6x9s or what?

Overpowering is perfectly fine....I typically use amps that are rated at 2-3 times the speaker's rating, you never have to worry about clipping, overheating, or any of that crap. Just listen to the speaker, if it's distorting, then you're reaching its mechanical limits and you need to turn it down or raise the highpass cutoff frequency (or raise the slope if you have that option), it's as simple as that. With an under or evenly powered amp, when you hear distortion you don't know if the speakers are hitting their limits and you need to turn it down or raise the highpass, or if the amp is clipping and you need a bigger amp, or what. With even the remotest shred of self discipline you won't have to worry about blowing the speakers no matter what size amp you use.

xplod1236 said:

That's true, but if the amp fries (for some reason) and you get dc on the output, it will be too much for the speaker to handle, and it will blow the speaker.

And when you're running a larger amp at 30-50% of its capabilities, the chance that you'll fry something and it will start spitting out DC is much lower than if you're running a smaller amp at 100%.

Either way, if you can afford more power then get it, but if it comes down to it, don't sacrific the quality of the amp just for more power.

If you already have the amp and you're buying speakers, then simply try to find some nice ones that fit your needs, don't worry about their power ratings. I would say that you should try to find some efficient speakers if you have a low power amp, but most manufacturers rate their speakers' efficiency completely differently, and the resulting values can't be compared at all. Some "88dB/1 watt" speakers from one company may be much more efficient than some "93dB/1 watt" speakers from another company, just depends on the companies and their rating system. If you have a solid 100-150rms available per channel, then you can run practically any speaker set at its prime. If you have less then try to do some research on various car audio forums to find some speakers that work well on low power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.