How to test Class D amplifiers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

This is my first post, so, I apologize if i did anything wrong.

I work in a audio Enterprise and recently we decided to create Kits of Woofer + amplifier. We bought 1000 units of an amplifier from China TPA3110 based. However, after all of units arrive, the seller told me that 10% of all have some issues (clipping, probably).

I created a simple jig to test all of them, as you can see in the attached picture, but I'm not sure what is the best process to do it. I was thinking to use a fixed frequency in max volume and see what will clip. (I've already tested some units and some of them really clip instantly.
Screenshot-20200212-180911-Video-Player.jpg

What do you think guys?

I would return them and find something else. What more will be wrong with them
that the "mfr" didn't find out about until too late? If you haven't yet paid, don't.

Unfortunately, i already have paid half of value. The only one wrong thing that i found is that some of them start to clip in low freq with max volume. I just need a procedure to test all of them haha.

Joined 2011
Unfortunately, i already have paid half of value.

Don't pay any more. If payment was via Paypal or a CC, complain to them.
How do you know that the rest of the boards won't start doing the same thing,
after you sell them to customers? Until the problem has a definite solution,
you don't know. Some of the parts could be the wrong value, defective, etc.

Last edited:
I will support rayma's view that their supply of doubtful items may turn into lack of confidence in you from your customers. In many western cultures, that is a very serious problem if you end up with a bad reputation. On top of that you may incur future expenses from repair under guarantee.

If you have to sell those items you already have, You have to take out a sample and test them more completely such that you know what type of failures that are frequent. Then, test the whole lot for performance of that nature.

Joined 2011
The last thing a new business should do is risk selling defective (or soon to be defective) products.
These days, news like this travels instantly, and will "kill it in the cradle". If you think those amplifier
boards cost you a lot, wait until you have to refund multiples of that amount to all the (rightly)
disgruntled customers. It's clear that the mfr has no idea what's wrong with the boards,
and neither will you.

Last edited:
The last thing a new business should do is risk selling defective (or soon to be defective) products.
These days, news like this travels instantly, and will "kill it in the cradle". If you think those amplifier
boards cost you a lot, wait until you have to refund multiples of that amount to all the (rightly)
disgruntled customers.

The company that i work has 65 years of producting loudspeakers, and i know how much important is to keep a good image in the market. Actually, the seller will refund only the damaged pieces, that's why i need a way to test all of them. I heard to use pink noise. Is it viable?

I assume that the idea with pink noise is to put a spectrum analyser at the output to see if the spectrum at the output matches the spectrum at the input.
An alternative is, as you already use time to change the item to be tested, to use an automatic frequency scan through the whole audio band and watch for abnormalities with an oscilloscope at the output.

You are, essentially, looking for manufacturing defects:
- Cold solder joints.
- Missing or misplaced parts.
- Cracked or manufacturer faulty parts.

Those can be revealed by:
- Thermal cycling. Vibration.
- Simultaneously: Checking of idle current draw, gain, frequency response, output impedance, and overload/short-circuit behavior.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.