How to soundproof a door from computer fan noise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Plasnu,
How can you be sure this is floor related issues? With low it could be related to anything. Difficult to be sure without seeing it ( the build).
I remember you talked about a solid reference to ground for your floor, more than the size of your room i think this is why you are not too much bothered: you have a high mechanical 'impedance' if your floor is on a cement slab.

About the 1u server, this things generate an awful lot of noise: being server they have typically lot of heat generating components inside the case. Worst the 1u format make the use of 40mm fans almostmandatory. They have to run at high rpm and as already stated high static pressure so fans geometry are noisy. Sometimes they have wider diameter fans as intake for cpu(s) but the airflow is not well optimized.

Ball bearing is nice as long they don't start whinning which will happen one day or another.

The quietest fan use slightly different tech than typical ball bearings like the SSO bearings from Noctua for example. But in this case they won't produce enough static pressure.

That is why i asked if a change to a 3u case was possible: more space= higher diameter fans running lower rpm and optimised fan geometry makes silent a 19" rack easier to achieve.

My main pc computer is build around a 3u case, a Noctua passive nh-u9 cpu cooler and 2x 120mm 'be quiet" case fan as intake ( at front of case). All are pwm controlled and i use a Seasonic hybrid psu ( passive up to a point where a silent fan kick in). Hdd are ssd and all cables are kept out of air flow.
The whole thing is silent with a 95w tdp cpu, i can only hear it at boot during 3seconds until the control profile of pwm is loaded then it is silent... the rack is located on lower emplacement on trolley so close to floor where temperature is cooler.

But with a server it is not as easy, especially in 1u.

Last edited:
Hi all,

just wanted to update you on the results. I'm not going to type up a full report as I've done that elsewhere which can be found here.

You can find REW measurements and pics of the installation here which might be a shorter read.

Thanks to those that suggested anything but changing fans or worrying about airflow. lol.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.