How to select thermal pads: Thermal resistance, thermal / electric conductivity

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I do not like those rubbery pads at all..... period.
To me, they're junk.
MICA is all I ever use, with thermal paste.
I'm Old School, and stay Old School.

Me being a newcomer, I haven’t established a bias. I have to find out out what method is best for a given situation…

Actually, there isn't a question about heat dissapation.
Because heat is bad for components, it reduces their operating life, and promotes failures.
That's a fact, and not debatable.

Through the decades, mica with paste was always used, and reliability was high, as opposed to today's products.
Being a service tech for decades now, I've seen this many times enough to know.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Yes of course. I'm not questioning anything, and surely not the necessity of heat dissipation.
My thing is that in some situations a pad, like keratherm, may be absolutely good, while in others not so much. (Don't know about its long-time reliability though)

And since my first project was done with keratherm, my "old school" (haha) says keratherm. (mica+goop being new stuff for me).

BUT I don't mean either to be better or worse, AND I will not start an argument with experts having exponentially more experience than me! :cheers:

Just a little notational thing:
I just looked at 2 thermal pads' specs:

Bergquist 2165479 5 W/mK and 0.32 K/W
The unit is watts per metre per kelvin, or W/m/K, since mK means milli-kelvins you can't shorten it like this. There are a few overlaps between prefixes and units in SI such as metre/milli = m, tesla/tera = T, and you have to be careful sometimes to avoid ambiguity. For instance torque is newton-metres = Nm, not metre-newtons (mN = milli-newton!)

I'll be using mica/goop to mount some Tokin SITs. I have some mica sheet but not had to work with it before as I've always had pre-cut pads. I'm wondering what's the best way of cutting the holes for the pins/mounting bolts - will something like this cut the holes?

Leather Hole Punch, [Upgraded Version][Perfect Full Set] Diyife Belt Puncher, Heavy Duty Revolving Plier Tool with 2 Extra Plates and Ruler, Multi Sized for Crafts, Card, Rubber, etc, Blue : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Any tips appreciated.

I will use a good sharp craft knife for cutting the sheet to size.

Cheers