how to protect 15W speaker from raising volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Too funny :)

Invariably over amp all my speaker drivers, want the headroom, but...

Had some small two way sats based on the Realistic 5" fullrange 40-1909B's that handled at most 10 watts connected to a Hafler 555

Only one accident, when the preamp volume control pot "stop" failed and went from max attenuation to ZERO. Blew the voice coils right out of the cones. Oops, laughed it off, jumped in the car and an hour later and $15 lighter, fixed both. :)

I ROTFLMAO, knew there be a day...

hard to find simple HPF in the audio forum.

Attachments

• fil91.gif
    fil91.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
The F5 is a current output amp, no? if so, try this (at your own risk):

-- install a 2 ohm resistor in series with the driver. This is to protect the amp, and for a current output amp it shouldn't cause too much sonic change.
-- get 40 silicon diodes, make two 20-diode strings (each string has 20 in series, same direction). Solder one string across the driver terminals, then solder the other one across the terminal as well but in opposite direction. These two strings will serve as drains when the voltage across the driver terminals reaches around 10V RMS (at this voltage the 8 ohm speaker consumes 15w, theoretically), i.e. they will prevent the driver from seeing more than 10V~.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The 20 diode clamps will switch on (conduct) at 20x0.6v=12 volts so your driver won't see anything higher than + or - 24 volts since F5 is dual rail. 24 volts into 8 ohms is 73 watts - too much since F5 is 25 watt amp. It will never reach clamp limit. Regarding noise - the diodes don't contribute noise when current doesn't flow through them and when current does you don't care because you want it to be used as a clipping device. Easier to use a class D amp with a variable input supply.

I think all of this is really not an issue unless you have a driver with very small x-mechanical and it is a very sensitive (95 dB +) driver. 25 watt amps are normal for most fullrange drivers and most people never worry about blowing a driver unless you really turn volume up high or system has turn on pop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.