• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to model a single-ended output transformer in LTspice?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi euro21,
Thank you for the information. May I ask how can I use c1, c2, c3?
C1 ; primary side capacitance
C2 ; secondary side capacitance
C3 ; primary to secondary capacitance

Otherwise, if you don't want to deal with capacitances, these files helps a lot.

Attachments

• Transformer Models Rev4.zip
    68.9 KB · Views: 85
  • ltspice_transformers.pdf
    202.7 KB · Views: 98
I often find that spice models for transformers are over trusted. Would love to see a model as good as , transistors, tubes, resistors and capacitors. Much is not modeled. Saturation, inductance vs frequency, and inductance vs excitation. These are not small shortcomings. The existing models are still useful, just expect that the sym may miss reality in some cases.

Nonlinearities in transformers cannot be modeled with the usual self and mutual inductance models since each of those terms just represents a linear not signal level dependent v=Ldi/dt. Nonlinear models require specific coding. The code already exists for transistors and even pentodes/triodes (canned models with limits of course, but a lot of work went into them). Basic nonlinear constructs for voltage dependent resistances and capacitances too - because those are the BASIS for the transistor models and are used internally to them. But for nonlinear inductors, you’re on your own.