How To Lose $50,000,000 Selling Loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Expensive cables existed long before Monster, Lee's best innovation was getting them into Best Buy and London Drugs.

LOL, yes, but some of the expensive cables do make a small difference. Some of them do have enough copper/silver in them to actually carry the signal without loss.

I've seen companies sink $50M+ dollars in software projects, with nothing to show for it. The project just have a life of their own and no one that started the project will admit they were wrong and stop it.

True. You need to have a little bit of luck to be just ahead of a wave. Bose for example, while they were successful as a speaker company with the 501/601/901 etc.. their success took off when HT demanded not 2 but 5/7/9 speakers all over the room and WAF demanded that these speakers be small.

This is why common sense dictates that diversions be small so that if they crash they don't take the company with it. Betting the farm, also means losing the farm.

That said, I am no fan of Dre or the Lees. Both sell/sold junk. Sadly they also made millions selling junk. In these leagues, even Dr. Bose offers more value for money than Monster or Dre ever did.

Expensive cables existed long before Monster, Lee's best innovation was getting them into Best Buy and London Drugs.

Indeed, M I T is another name with decades of heritage marketing gobbledy-gook snake-oil, oops, I meant exotic high tech, niche market arcana, that "if you want to understand how it works, we have engineers tasked to that purpose"

When one of the options on web-site for sorting product catalogs by price has a category for $10,000 and above , $54K for 8ft bi-wire speaker interconnects with "Fractional Articulation Technology" and HD Technology, it's hard to know whether to laff, cry, or admire their chutzpah - probably all 3 at the same time.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And more currently, Audio Note - "sir, if you have to ask the price, perhaps we can direct you to the local Best Buy?"

Audio Notes SOGON series cables are expensive. On the other hand, in terms of music reproduction, they are also conclusive.
"Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong"

Mark Knopfler

yeah, I'm a bit of a cynic

I went to one of the national sales meeting for Monster at CES. We weren't supposed to be there but we had tickets for a Santana concert they were hosting at the end of the sales meeting, and we snuck in early.

It was an old time tent revival meeting, Snake Oil all the way. All the dealers got up and shared a lot of love on Uncle Noel Lee. They love him because he has made them a lot of money over the years. Lots of margin built into the products, both for Monster and for the dealer. Sell a pair of speakers at low margin but get the customer to buy 60 feet of cable to go with it, and you have saved your sale.

Fancy cables and extended warranties. The fraud squad should look into both of these.

David

Fractional Articulation Technology? Don't tell me, I'm sure I don't want to know. :rolleyes:

c'mon Doc, why would you intentionally shortchange your understanding of how to solve a problem of which you previously weren't even aware - what are you some kind of Luddite? :D

Fractional Articulation Technology and HD Switching
With the simple turn of the selector switch, you can move from “Standard definition” to “High definition” to “Super High definition” mode by activating Fractional Articulation Technology (F.A.T.). F.A.T. enables these interfaces to retrieve additional information that resides within each octave of the musical signal, forming individual images with crisp detail and without artificial hardness. Smooth and liquid from top to bottom, F.A.T. precisely extracts information lost by JUST cables, rendering incredible detail and solid image placement with more lifelike transients than ever thought possible. The result: improved timbre, texture and unparalleled detail, while preserving all of the delicate spatial information associated with Maximum Articulation.

I mean that sounds almost like magic (al thinking) - and who doesn't want a cable that for only $50K can make our audio experience go to 11, hell maybe even further

takes me back to my previous lifetime in retail - with sufficient herbal conditioning and peer / group think at play, you can hear almost anything

All the dealers got up and shared a lot of love on Uncle Noel Lee. They love him because he has made them a lot of money over the years.

I now REALLY want to start a subwoofer company called MONSTER Bass, but I should use courier font so it doesn't look like their trademark. ;)

I have some Monster cable wire from 1988. The ends tarnish every few years so I cut them an inch shorter. The wire has a VERY small inner insulated conductor that all the other strands are spun around. I seem to recall I paid $301.04 for a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-12's and the 20' of wire, and the speakers were $284/pr (10% over cost - $690/pr list). That means the wire was around $0.50/ft at 10% over cost. I liked it at the time because it was flexible and laid nice on the floor, not because I thought it would sound better.

I should make flexible wire to go with my Monster subs that comes in colors so it doesn't stand out. Perhaps I could call it Demon wire and sell it really cheap....

I kinda have a love/hate relationship with audio gimmicks.
On the downside, they don't work.
But on the upside, there's a lot of great audio stores that would've closed a long time ago if it wasn't for the profits from these gimmicks.

Basically the speakers that I want to hear and buy are subsidized by the likes of Monster Cable and MIT

Indeed, M I T is another name [/IMG]

yeah, I'm a bit of a cynic

I even bought a pair, then I became a cynic.

I kinda have a love/hate relationship with audio gimmicks. Basically the speakers that I want to hear and buy are subsidized by the likes of Monster Cable and MIT

So Peter Belt was on to something....speakers that I want to/care to hear are all too expensive for my wallet. Hence I DIY (see OT comment below).

OT: In 2011-12 my wife was remodelling our pigeon-hole. Well she near well tore the whole place down. Anyway I figured she is not going to want my DIY monstrosities in the "new remodelled" apartment. So I reviewed a few models in my price range - KEF Q900, Focal Chorus 836, B&W CM8, Paradigm Studio 100, PSB, Monitor Audio, ...all the usual suspects. Not one satisfied. So I bit my lip and upped my budget and considered a few more brands Heco, Canton, Sonus Faber Luito, ...I lost track of all the models but still nothing. It was not till I got to a price range of $5000 for a pair of towers that I found something that I liked and no way was I going to pay that much for speakers even if my wife permitted it. So back to DIY I went; with a twist. I looked at Salk, and then finally settled with Rick at Selah primarily because he allowed me to just import a cabinet-less kit and build the boxes here (in India). Thank you DIYaudio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.