How to get started with speaker measurements for Dipole design? (and I have a Mac)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all.

I'd like to be able to measure frequency response to help put together a three way active dipole speaker using the DCX2496 for crossover and EQ.

What's the easiest way to do this that would provide meaningful data? I have a rat-shack SPL meter and some Panasonic WM-61A capsules. I also have a Lexicon Lambda USB recording interface and a MacBook Pro. I also have a pretty descent Protek multimeter that measures True RMS and an old HP digital oscilloscope with only one working input channel.

Anybody have any suggestions on measuring frequency response to aid in building this speaker? Does anybody know of any cheap software packages out there for Mac to measure frequency response (that work with OSX 10.4)? Is it worth it to try to find an old cheap PC laptop for the use of PC based utilities (in which case what's the easiest one to use)?

Also, does anybody have any good reading links on what's the "right" way to get meaningful measurements for Dipole EQ design? In-room, outside on-axis on a stand, outside on the ground with the mic on the ground?

Sorry for so many questions, i'm just eager for this project :D Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: How to get started with speaker measurements for Dipole design? (and I have a Mac)

santiu said:
What's the easiest way to do this that would provide meaningful data? I have a rat-shack SPL meter and some Panasonic WM-61A capsules. I also have a Lexicon Lambda USB recording interface and a MacBook Pro.

http://www.fuzzmeasure.com/

Rapidly becoming a reason to switch to Mac for measuring. And a no-brainer if you have a need for presentation quality graphics. Chris is working on V3, which may need Leopard to run (i've not had a chance to try the beta under 10.4 and i am awaiting a new MacBook Pro in the spring to be able to run Leopard.

There are others

dave

You could run Parallels on your Mac and than install Windows on the top of it, or Linux... Than install Arta Software. Having Parallels and Windows is really cool as you could run OSX and XP simutaneously. XP will even use some of the apps/utilities from OSX. Funny - I was in Windows, and needed to unzip file - it was done by Stufit Deluxe in OSX for XP! Really cool. I control my DCX2496 from my Power Book, and run some audio aps on it in XP.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.