How to get dual rail psu from single secondary transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok i have dual psu based on lm317/337 and it requires center tap transformer and it is all good. Now when I want to power something less power hungry i would like to use ac wallwart which i can easily find and its much safer than playing with transformer and also its much lighter. I need pcb or schematic of circuit that takes single secondary and provides +/- at output. I dont need more than +/-12v at output and 2A. It would be good if it is linear, i really dont want switching (i have found some dc to +/- dc on ebay but dont really know how it performs in audio). So i need AC-AC : +/-DC. :wave:

I want this to replace big transformer. (Adapter in picture is just example i have different than this one)
IMG_0928.JPG

Last edited:
Since you require 2A +/-12VDC bi-polar output the power brick that you show will not work. It shows only 500mA output at 12VAC. You will need more than 10x higher current output from the brick if you plan to use two half wave rectifiers to get +/-12VDC bi-polar output capable to deliver 2A of current.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The Objective-2 headphone amplifier (sometimes called O2) does exactly what you propose. Its schematic is available online, do a bit of google searching to find it.

Mains --> AC wall wart --> 12VAC (2 wire barrel plug) --> circuit --> regulated ±12V DC and ground

The circuit is just a pair of half wave rectifiers (one for V+ and another for V-), followed by very large filter capacitors, followed by 3 pin voltage regulator ICs. Notice that the filter capacitors need to be twice as big for a half wave rectifier, than the caps for a conventional full wave rectifier such a four-diode bridge rectifier.

My transformer is overkill for headphone amps and i find it not very practical so i want to use wallwart like in picture.

Yea Mark i need something like its done in O2.

If i dont find anything better ill use pcb from that Polish guy BamboszeK i linked, board seems very nice.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If you decide to build the 12VAC to ±12VDC circuit yourself on a piece of prototyping board (example), it's not a very large circuit at all. I've circled those components on the Objective-2 Headphone Amplifier board, look for the red circles. It's a small little island of a few components. Easy!

_

Attachments

• exbd.png
    exbd.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 241
  • O2_silk.png
    O2_silk.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 247
  • O2_layer1.png
    O2_layer1.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 248
  • O2_layer2.png
    O2_layer2.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 197
The circuit is just a pair of half wave rectifiers (one for V+ and another for V-), followed by very large filter capacitors, followed by 3 pin voltage regulator ICs. Notice that the filter capacitors need to be twice as big for a half wave rectifier, than the caps for a conventional full wave rectifier such a four-diode bridge rectifier.

That works fine as long as the load currents from the positive side and the negative side are not so different that it makes the transformer saturate - which is usually not a problem, because wallwarts with AC output usually have a simple EI transformer inside that doesn't saturate too quickly.

I always put reverse-connected rectifier diodes (typically 1N4002, although a Schottky would be better) from each regulator output to ground to ensure that the regulator of which the input voltage ramps up last doesn't go into latch-up. Otherwise, if for example the negative supply starts up first, the load could pull the output of the positive regulator negative, possibly triggering parasitic thyristors that make the positive regulator destruct itself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.