How to build the F5

I do almost all mine by hand also. Sometimes I use the drill press for the holes. I do 6x32 threads for TO-247 - TO3P. I use a conterbore bit(I think thats what it's called?) to clean the entrance to the hole. It has a much steeper angle than a drill bit. Maybe 45 degrees, and it is only meant to cut the tapered part of the hole. You can use a razor knife quite easily also.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I do almost all mine by hand also. Sometimes I use the drill press for the holes. I do 6x32 threads for TO-247 - TO3P. I use a conterbore bit(I think thats what it's called?) to clean the entrance to the hole. It has a much steeper angle than a drill bit. Maybe 45 degrees, and it is only meant to cut the tapered part of the hole. You can use a razor knife quite easily also.

That's the thing I was trying to describe. about 45 degrees is right I'd say.
Makes a nice taper, takes the edge right off.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
My solution to avoid rectangular cutting.
Neutrik - powerCON 20 Amp

Pretty much the same openings as XLR. The only problem is that they should not be "hot" plugged or unplugged.

I've chased down these parts, both the 20 amp and the 32 amp powercon.
The notes for the 20 amp version stated "not for amplifier mains"??? Maybe its just a liability thing, they are considerably cheaper than the 32 amp versions.

If you've been using them I assume they are fine....?

Russellc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The notes for the 20 amp version stated "not for amplifier mains"???
What notes?

from the powerCon FAQ:
What are powerCON connectors and what are they used for?
The powerCON is a lockable equipment AC connector. It’s used in the audio business for the power lines of lighting applications, amplifiers, etc. It can be used as power supply for industrial applications with the advantage of it’s locking system in comparison to standard non locking MAINS* connector. The connectors fulfill all current safety standards such as SEV, UL, CSA and VDE and uses a colored power inlet-outlet coding to prevent a short circuit. To transmit 20A @ 250V it has a thicker silver plating (20µ) and an enlarged isolation between the Faston contacts. * Not to be used in the wall of a building structure as a mains power connector.

Neutrik Warning PowerCon

The only warnings I have found is do not exceed the 20amp rating and ALWAYS make sure that the power is off the cable / cord when connecting or disconnecting. NO HOT SWAPPING...:eek:

The locking feature is great and widely used on products that supply power to amps, ie Audience AR12 etc., and really anywhere you do not want an inadvertant disconnect from whatever source users, pets, children of all ages...:rolleyes:

I've chased down these parts, both the 20 amp and the 32 amp powercon.
The notes for the 20 amp version stated "not for amplifier mains"??? Maybe its just a liability thing, they are considerably cheaper than the 32 amp versions.

If you've been using them I assume they are fine....?

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
What notes?

from the powerCon FAQ:
What are powerCON connectors and what are they used for?
The powerCON is a lockable equipment AC connector. It’s used in the audio business for the power lines of lighting applications, amplifiers, etc. It can be used as power supply for industrial applications with the advantage of it’s locking system in comparison to standard non locking MAINS* connector. The connectors fulfill all current safety standards such as SEV, UL, CSA and VDE and uses a colored power inlet-outlet coding to prevent a short circuit. To transmit 20A @ 250V it has a thicker silver plating (20µ) and an enlarged isolation between the Faston contacts. * Not to be used in the wall of a building structure as a mains power connector.

Its on the Neutrik site. You can also see the same disclaimer on the Parts Express site, I'll find it and se if I can link you to it. It all looked fine to me, but that's what I read, yes sir!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
PE Fail

PE took Neutrik's note

"* Not to be used in the wall of a building structure as a mains power connector."

and left out the important part, so PE's note erroneously says

"Note: PowerCon® is not designed to be a "mains" connector or for speaker/amplifier applications."

Tosh FTW: I'll stick to something I "know" from experience is hot-pluggable: the IEC socket!

modu hifi 2000 case

Hi,

I just got mine in today. I had them do some custom work to it, basically drill out the back panel, and drill and tap the heatsinks.

I'm very please with the work they did, however they did mess up one of the heat sinks, and failed to tap one of the holes (that they did correct).

I was looking for an assembly diagram, lol, I didn't see one in the shipping box either. Hopefully that is available on their website.

I'll have to call Gianluca and see what they can do to correct the problem.

Have you go to the point of assembling your case?