How to build the F5

Now I am really confused?

If somebody who knows what they are doing wants to link to a unit they recommend I can just find the same thing in Aus.

Yes I am planing on taking every precaution and following nelsons manual VERY closely when building the F5 :D :confused: :D

Last edited:
"The power supply"

24V times 6A is 144VA, times two makes ~300VA for stereo.

Peak output depends not just on the transformer, but on the entire power supply.
That's why the headline reads : Power Supply, as in transformer + cap bank.
Take 20Hz as the frequency for which peak power must be delivered, with the 10A requirement it's real easy to calculate the required number of uF's.
(Uhh, if you know the formula by head or able to deduce it).

Any decent toroid is able to deliver twice the nominal power during short bursts, makes 2 times 12A for a 18Vac/300VA.
Elementary, dear Watson (in electronics 101 class).
Cheerio (and back to bed with a splitting headache) !

Its all good woody, sometimes people have time/patience to talk you through it, sometimes you are on your own. If I ask the same question another time I may get the piece of info that makes it all clear.
As much as I would like a simple answer sometimes there are none and it is in my interest/health to know exactly what I am doing when it comes to AC mains.

That being said, It must be hard for an experienced electrical engineer/or otherwise not to scream/cry WTF, when we noobs ask some of the questions we ask, over and over again. I get that, and I get that I'm a noob (yes me) and I have to be brave and ask anyway.

Dean

good woody

Alrighty, let's do a bonus.
24V divided by 6A makes 4.
What 4 ? Well, 4 times V divided A, of course.
Oh, you mean 4 Ohm !

Yeah, right, mate.
Regular practice with designing a power amp is to set up the power supply for a 4 ohm load.
Ya know, continuous output power, pretty stupid to design for a 2 Ohm loudspeaker if the majority is 4 Ohm nominal at worst.

And what about those oddy 1 Ohm ribbons, aye ?
Easy peasy, those things operate at high frequencies, where you'd only need an occasional blast from the pedal.
The lord humungous lytic bank handles that.

(battery cells for submarine diesel-electric drive are more fun)

Last edited:
Tin you rock, thank you

I have been reading the ESP writeup on tranys and have realized that It seems to take me ages to absorb some of this mumbo jumbo .... :p

Try not to get upset, but I have to ask. Is there a guide/pic/post/advice/anything as to how to wire one of these trany's to a Cviller v1 CRC PSU board?

Yours sincerely
Dean

No, I am not trying to kill myself !!! Yes, I really want to build this bloody amp!!!!!!!

Thunk & Woody: There is no shame in getting your feet wet for the first time. There is certainly no need to apologize.

Well, yeah....but be careful getting your feet wet, while playing around with that Aussie mains voltage.... OUCH..... :D

One 300 VA transformer would be useable for both channels of an F5.

However, if you are considering buying two of them ($$$$ permitting), you really ought to be building two independent (and electronically separate) F5 amps. This would entail two tranformers, two power supply boards (with caps and resistors), and (of course) the two F5 amp boards. This will give you plenty of "reserve power" in your amp. Do NOT parallel anything (as in, attempt to link the two 300 VA transformer secondaries together). You can (and should) link the primaries together, so you only have to contend with one power switch, and mains power cord--unless you want to build on two entirely separate chassis, to keep each amp close to the speaker(s) it is driving.

Effectively, you'd end up building two amps, which can be done on one common chassis, or you could build them on separate chassis (as true "monoblock" amps).

Again, one 300 VA can power both F5 channels. I'm using a 400VA in mine. Using two 300 VA's in a "monoblock" is also good, and gives you plenty of power "margin".

Fair dinkum on yer, and good luck, mate...........!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Dean, supply is shown last in the F5 manual, after all the measurements
is very detailed

please note the way plus and minus are joined to form neutral ground
there are different ways of doing it
but in priciple the are alike

we have had members who havent understood this, and connected it wrong

its important you understand this
and once you do, you can wire any supply

Thunk & Woody: There is no shame in getting your feet wet for the first time. There is certainly no need to apologize.

I'll further add, that there is no shame in using a lightbulb in series with the PS when you first hook up your amp (or even just the power supply). It is cheap insurance for the mistakes that sometimes happen. If you are unaware of this technique, then please take the time and search the threads. Keyword: lightbulb