How to attenuate woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well again i cant thank you enough for your advice - its so easy to fall into traps with so much conflicting data avaliable on the web and some duff sites; though of course some data and websites are excellent like the ones youve pointed out.

I looked at that design on humble hifi the other day and quite like the idea of adapting it. I will try familiarise myself with the tools youve suggested and play about with designs until i eventually come out with something reasonable. I'm in no rush as i have no money atm due to another project of mine (rebuilding a classic mini) which im a lot better at than this hah!

Cheers again for the help, i think i stand a chance now i know where to start :) ill post up another thread more related if i need help later on in the project.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Final post on this thread just for info incase you might be interested but i got hold of some cheap equipment - an SPL meter and a camera tripod lol. Set it up in middle of room and tried to clear anything near by for possible sound reflections. Had a play with a test CD and some signal generators and i got a lot of results. Now the level is only reasonably accurate from 80htz - 6000htz (not great but at least it is better than nothing). I placed the SLP meter 1m away from speaker and in the middle of all drivers. I got better than expected results, not perfect by any means but not terrible either. I got a common average of around 79db with the occasional peak/dip of 3dB and one dip of 10dB. The range from 100 - 1050 was flat within +-2dB and then as the old midrange speaker came into play so did some more distortion, but still achieved reasonable results. From range 1100 - 5900 it was flat mostly within +-4dB with one random substantial -10db dip at 1300htz but only at this exact frequency (could also be my cheap SPL meter has a random dodgey point here).

So overall i was surprised how good the results turned out getting an overall +-4dB but it will not dissuade me from coming up with a new design that ill aim towards getting +-2dB accross complete range if possible :D

Anyway thats it - ill post up later in a couple of weeks in a new thread how i get on with designing!

Attatched graph (notice the dip at 1300htz) :

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.