How old were you when you started DIYing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
star882 said:
I started working with computers at about 4, general electronics (including some audio) at 8, advanced electronics at 14, and refrigeration at 17.
BTW, I am known as the youngest and most beautiful refrigeration engineer in the area.

planet10 said:

Does anyone know of a cheap why of cooling yourself down in the hot summer, and I’m not talking about drinking a frozen beer, and something like freezing water bottles in a fridge and then pop then in the cooler box with some a radiator in front of a fan, things like that

jacquesl said:
Does anyone know of a cheap why of cooling yourself down in the hot summer, and I’m not talking about drinking a frozen beer, and something like freezing water bottles in a fridge and then pop then in the cooler box with some a radiator in front of a fan, things like that

I have thought about using a heat exchanger with a fan on it connected to a chilled water/glycol line from the chiller that also cools the computer equipment in the room. Just something to think about for college use...

BTW, if there are special approval rules for A/C equipment (some colleges only allow approved equipment or equipment they supply), I'll count the chiller as IT equipment. My argument is that since it does not cool the room, it's not an A/C. I'll probably put the heat exchanger/fan assembly in an insulated box so I can count it as a refrigeration device.

jacquesl said:
There I’m going you can have a small fridge but not an air-con
Duct the condenser to the window, then use the freezer to freeze ice packs. When you need cooling, take out an ice pack and put it in front of a fan.
Or if the weather is suitable, make a mini evaporative cooler. Just call it a humidifier.

I suppose you could also take a minifridge and replace the entire refrigeration system with something that can handle a bigger load. Then add a large icemaker and there's a supply of ice to use for cooling. Of course, you'll need to vent the heat outside or you won't get a net cooling effect.

Or maybe connect a car radiator to the faucet and install a low voltage fan on the radiator. It should give pretty effective heat and some cooling.

With more information, it might be possible to determine what ideas are workable. You'll probably find something that while crazy, is fully within the rules and perfectly workable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.