How Not To Install A System!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't see why all the people on the forum are so riled up. Aside from the the fact that the life of the speaker might be severly impared. They seem to key on two issues, the hole in the floor and the open back. If the kid got the speakers to mount on the flat, which it appears he did, then he took out a circle of thin sheetmetal and replaced it with a fairly beefly looking cast frame. Seeing as how flat sheet metal has almost no compression strength I'm not sure thats really a problem. Besides without looking I would guess a truck that old was still built on frame rails. As for the whole throwing away half the sound point I really have to laugh. When you get a manufacturers specs (TS parameters and freq plot) they are taken using as close to an infinite baffle as possible. That being said I would not want to mount a sub like he did, but I can't help thinking that most of the people on the forum there choose port aand box size based on looks and blind copying of of boxes using better drivers.

The funny part there is? he thinks it cool. The idea isn't all that crazy its been done, i remember seeing some iasca show car that had 8 inch woofers in the front for imaging, they actually cut the hole in floor and made a enclousre for the sub. Seeing that he already has the holes, he could reverse the subs and make separate enclosures underneath the cab using fiberglass.

swordfish689 said:
The funny part there is? he thinks it cool. The idea isn't all that crazy its been done, i remember seeing some iasca show car that had 8 inch woofers in the front for imaging, they actually cut the hole in floor and made a enclousre for the sub. Seeing that he already has the holes, he could reverse the subs and make separate enclosures underneath the cab using fiberglass.

Yes you remember correctly and that was along time ago. 94' show. Built winter of 93 - 94 .

I'd be willing to bet that his subs sound better quality wise than almost anything else out there. IB is the way to go if you know jack about audio. Ask anyone in the loudspeakers forum who actually knows alot about audio. If he just put some protection underneath to shield the cones from the rain getting kicked up he would have an awesome system that would really last.

Google "cult of the infinitly baffled" and read some of the reviews comparing an IB setup to one or even two 5k velodyne subs.

pikers said:
...And I guarantee he meant 148db with ALL of his speakers on, not just the subs.

I've run into a couple misguided cats like this over the years. You can't tell them anything.

I still doubt it. Even with all his speakers. I have 4 15s and 2000watts to my subs and 1200W to my highs and mids and i hit 168db. so with his subs its kinda hard to belive.

And I must ask; where are you getting that kind of power from??

Running 2KW+ amplifiers, your mileage must be going down the tubes. How many alternators are in there?

2000W ouput from a car amplifier must demand at least 2100 - 2200W or so input. Perhaps less if it's class D or something. Still, that's a lot of power to demand.

Are you speaking of power in peak output, peak to peak output, or RMS output?? 2000W p-p is 707W RMS, and 2000W p is 1414W RMS. I expext 2000W p-p is likely enough though.

Chris8sirhC said:
I'd be willing to bet that his subs sound better quality wise than almost anything else out there. IB is the way to go if you know jack about audio. Ask anyone in the loudspeakers forum who actually knows alot about audio. If he just put some protection underneath to shield the cones from the rain getting kicked up he would have an awesome system that would really last.

Google "cult of the infinitly baffled" and read some of the reviews comparing an IB setup to one or even two 5k velodyne subs.

Obviously, it's a bad idea to have subwoofers directly exposed to the elements, but you're right they probably sound a whole lot better than most car audio subs. Unfortunately the great majority of car audio people don't know anything except what the marketing department tells them.

i think he should have at least mabye considered marine speakers/subs biult for elements and also a better gril than what they come with.
i personally find it kina bad idea he could have just lowerd part of the floor (cutting then reshaping and lowering it) he had poted a comment on cardomian that he would pay 500$ to see someone with the same truck and have the back bench fold down all the way without a pass through ) i think he coulda biult a slim bandpas or a vented box or even a sealed in the same area.:apathic:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.