How many TDA1541A are needed in parallel to achieve double crown standard ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:

I don't have much experience with 1541 cheap. All I did, was changing electrolytics, simplifying output stage and converting to non oversampling in my Marantz CD94. It sounded pretty good, but no match to TDA1543 based DAC with Marantz as a transport. This Marantz is a prettygood transport, and I noticed the CD-Pro to be only marginally better (a bit more resolution and better clarity).

I still remember how Marantz sounded with 1541 chips, both regular version and double crown. The latter is more refined, less harsh and pretty pleasing. 1543 seems to have better resolution and to be more neutral. I diodn't noticed anything special about the difference in bass (as Elso claims) but my current speakers don't reproduce the deepest bass, so maybe that's why.

But when I converted my Marantz to TDA 1543 DAC, using I2S, reclocking, clock, active discrete output and batteries, it became so much better player, that the previous version with TDA1541S2, doesn't even come close. So it's all the matter of implementing those two chips.

I'll be experimenting with double crown version soon.

PS: To answer your question, TDA1541 may be more refined and 1543 chip with stripe seems more refined too;)

Peter,

What exactly is your setup with the TDA1543? I know you use rudolf's output stage. But which clock? (Elso's?), which reclocking? (Guido Tent's synchronous one?) and what power supply?

Hi!

Because it´s the latest discussion on philips dac´s.....
Where do you place the TDA1545? it´s the latest part of the TDA154x line.... (Ok I own one, but I need a reason to try it or leave it in the box, currently I´m verrry short of time, so any comments are welcome)

btw, I´ve build some standalone DAC´s (they are: TDA1541a, TDA1543, Pcm56, PCM61) more and more I get the feeling that there is no "the best" - it depends on my mood, the daytime, listening to headphone or speakers..... and maybe the amount of beer i´ve drunken :clown:
What do you think about that?

Bricolo said:

Peter,

What exactly is your setup with the TDA1543? I know you use rudolf's output stage. But which clock? (Elso's?), which reclocking? (Guido Tent's synchronous one?) and what power supply?
I'm using Tent clock, as it fits nicely on Rudolf's board, synchronous reclocking, super pair output stage, Siemens MKV coupling caps. Power to output stage provided by two 12V Yuhasa batteries (no regulators). Power to digital section from 6V batteries and BB low drop regualtors (3 of them, one for clock, one for reclocking and one for DAC)

S2 Crown ?? vs 1543

Is the S2 crown chip the real deal in these reports of the 1543 equaling or surpassing the TDA 1541 double crown?? It seems most comparisons have been 1543 vs "Chinese" S2 Crown. Any old S2 vs 1543 ....the real deal comparisons?? Reliable observers have touted the TDA1541 as the best of the NOS capable chips.
Are we now ALL saying the 1543 is the best??

How many TDA1541A are needed in parallel to get away without output buffer?

That question bags me ever since I made a dac with 4xTDA1543 in parallel. What I want to a achieve is output of 2V or preferablly more with xy number TDA1541A in parallel with passive I/V conversion and nothing more. Is it possible?

Regards, Ivo

Peter Daniel said:

I also tried paralleling 2 and 4 TDA1543 and the results where much inferior to using a single chip.

:confused: :eek:
I have the oposite experience.
Comparing the single TDA1543 (active analog stage, with OPA627 or LM6171, similar to the datasheet implementation) to the TDA1541A on my Philips CD650 (with LM6172 op-amps), the single TDA1543 was clearly inferior.
Each time I added a TDA1543 the sound got clearly better.
I tried 1, 2, 3, and settled with 4 chips.

After all, the TDA1543 is, in Philips' own words, an "economy version", isn't it?:dodgy:

Pedja said:

To my ears TDA1541A is still more refined even if compared against TDA1543 with stripe! :bigeyes:

Pedja ;)

Without proper context your previous quote is not true. To me refinement means nothing if the chip doesn't produce music;)

Peter Daniel said:

PS: To answer your question, TDA1541 may be more refined and 1543 chip with stripe seems more refined too;)

It is different topic if it means something or nothing. Refinement is refinement. I did not say TDA1541A is better… I said it is more refined.

Both TDA1541A and TDA1543 can produce music. They do it in a somewhat different ways though. Any preference Re these two chips is fine with me and this preference is probably more related to the general musical taste than anything else (assuming decent execution in both cases).

Pedja

Pedja said:
Both TDA1541A and TDA1543 can produce music. They do it in a somewhat different ways though. Any preference Re these two chips is fine with me and this preference is probably more related to the general musical taste than anything else (assuming decent execution in both cases).Pedja

Why not parallel 1541 and 1543 ?

So no more pain with choice :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.