How many DIY project do you have at the same time?

I have three basic systems; home, car, and headphone/desk setup.
While all are now finally in a state of great sound, no complaints, I do have a bit of an uneasy feeling now that I have nothing “to do”.

Have even considered a pair of subs under the front seats of the car, but it seems like I’m just thinking of another project perhaps…

I don't think I've had less than 3 projects cooking at one time once over the last 15 yrs

I would be happy at three. At this moment I have three on one workbench and I have three benches. The SMD assembly bench has about 5 or 6 Eurorack synthesizer modules in varying degrees of completeness......and there are several partial projects in boxes on several shelves.....and a couple more on the floor.......and......

The ADHD powered brain in in my head keeps me jumping from project to project at any given moment. I have been trying my whole life to reel that ADHD thing back in with varying degrees of success. Recently though I have only worked on one indoor project, primarily because it involves LOTS of small detail soldering and I'm losing my ability to do that. I have not started any new ones. It remains to be seen how long that trend can last.

Hi Joe,
With AOID ("Attention to Other Things More Interesting Disorder") everything I've ever started.

There's that. Or as my wife says, If it's something you want you'll remember, if it's something you dont want, you'll never remember.

The scale of want against the probability of memory is far from linear; if I remember to do something, I must really want it.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Is "too many" a real number? :rolleyes:

Mike

I‘d have thought that’s a natural number. Although it’s a relative one too…
[emoji849]

Anyway, the builds (most begun to some degree):
3 preamps
2 poweramps
3 volume-modules
2 phono-stages
Interconnects [emoji51]

And restaurations / repairs:
1 preamp (repair)
1 poweramp (repair)
1 mono tube poweramp (antique, restauration or rebuild)
8 turntables (restauration)
1 „boombox“ (repair)
1 speaker (brushup/ restauration)

And then there’s the wishlist [emoji2960], and furniture…

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not many now and even fewer in the future.

Completed the second generation (and now regretfully last) high performance reel to reel tape amplifier design based on my own discrete op-amps. There will be no more due to lack of interest.. (I don't need more than 2 and I have not succeeded in really interesting anyone else - so end of the road.)

Fourth generation discrete op-amp as an upgrade for the front end of the tape amplifier.

Maybe a horn upgrade and new compression drivers for the mid-range in my system.

I'm not quite as old as Tubelab, but have almost 24,000 days on the clock, and due to a bout with Hodgkins Lymphoma less than a decade ago I doubt I have many of the additional 11,000 days my father has lived so far.

Likely will replace most of the tube gear in the system with solid state electronics before I retire. I've moved mostly to hybrid and some solid state, the things that fail have tubes in them. (and it is usually the tubes - tired of it.)

Oooooo :eek:

There could be some 10+ tubeamp projects (pre- power-)
Three solid state amps
Two smaller speakers
PSUs (dual voltage)

And then all my synth projects:
Three single board synths
Two synths I am "repairing" and yet another I am trying to check out.
Two sequenzers
A modular synth with too many modules. Maybe have use them to build a smaller semi-modular.

SEveral clock projects with VFDs and Russian clock ICs.

Reactions: 1 user
If I listed them all, you wouldn't believe me. I'd have to look into my notebooks for that because I wouldn't be able to list them all from memory. Not restricted to Audio, even though Audio's declinations are quite vast (not just playback gear, but instruments, production gear).

I agree with George on the necessity to re-evaluate where to spend time: it was between 1-2 years ago where I had a brush with a life-threatening condition to the point I nearly had a talk with my S.O. about resignation to living without me. Nothing like such an event to bring home how short life can be.

So, reducing D.E.Y. (Everything) to sane D.I.Y., whereby reusing some existing commercial module or component is acceptable is ultimately a good thing. For instance, I had already started building and coding a DIY multiple CV/Gate Keybed. Fairly sure I can finish this if I debug it, but I think I'll pass and get a cheap Keyboard like that if I can.

The only trouble here are the price hikes caused by the Supply Chain and Component shortage issues, so being patient is key. However, I was just thinking about getting back into some Digital coding and it seems to be the perfect time for this: brain + hands + laptop and The Truth. Nothing additional to buy, I can develop all day and all night.

Focusing on one project can be fruitful sometimes, but it doesn't seem my mind like to comply with that directive for too long. Instead, motivation comes and goes, so for me, it's usually better if I have several on-going projects I can move across from time to time.

Two synths I am "repairing" and yet another I am trying to check out.

A modular synth with too many modules. Maybe have use them to build a smaller semi-modular.
Repaired and hacked a Korg DW-8000.

Repaired and modified a Korg Polysix, but it's acting up so I need to give it another go. I got tired of troubleshooting its KLM-367 board. I am sort of decided on getting it working and selling it for other more modern gear that will be less troublesome to maintain and do without that calibration process.

Modified an Akai Tom Cat. It's on its way out as I since snagged a mint-looking Behringer RD-8. Need to remove the mods and close the box and put it up for sale.

Repaired and heavily modified a Roland JX-3P.

Repaired the Main Encoder on the Alesis Micron, repaired outputs.

Built my own Analogue Modular, mostly with homegrown PCBs, DIY case, DIY low-noise PSU and Power Distribution.

Geeking out with undocumented and very unconventional configurations and routings on the Kurzweil K2500XS + KDFX: millions of new architectures to build with it, be it as a Synth, or as an Uber-Effects Box, easily rivaling the best of Eventides and Lexicons, except I do not need any additional 'cards' to do that, nor do I need any additional VSIG-style editing to do that... No one knows about this as it isn't described anywhere.

Re: re-evaluation of time: getting that Behringer RD-8 sure felt really good because I was on a modification project for the Akai Tom Cat, and now I don't need to do that anymore. I am consciously diminishing the modifications and repair projects so that I can focus on making music again.

On the other hand, I also want to write my own Digital + Hybrid Synth and Digital multi-Effects box with modern techniques, both in DSP and in Electronics.

See, it never really ends.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm a liar.. LOL I solved the tube failure problems for the most part and addressed it by purchasing lots of spares.

My current project list is pretty sparse though, I did design and build a rather nifty 6N6P hybrid parafeed line stage that I use in my office system. Many of my local friends are building their own. Lots of bang for the buck, and I enjoyed the electrical and PCB design aspects of it. Packaged it up nicely in a custom Par-Metal chassis. It sounds very good. I detailed the whole thing here on the forum and was surprised by the utter lack of interest here, I even offered low cost PCB - no takers.

I completed the last discrete op-amp design I talked about and it is going into a tape amp I designed for a 3rd party Ampex ATR as a replacement for the original electronics.

I recently designed a small PCB for Lundahl LL1931/1941 SUTs I use with various LOMC cartridges I own. Going to put a set together today and shoehorn them into my Muscovite Mini IV phono pre-amp.

I have lots of strange ideas for new power amplifiers and phono stages, it is an open question whether I will do any of them. Likely I will design a replacement for the GM70 bass amplifiers currently in my system, they are not very green and make a lot of heat relative to their output power. I think I can reduce power consumption by 50% or more and still deliver >20Wrms output power. It will be some sort of hybrid, but I will avoid using D3A due to cost and supply issues. (I've about 35 of them, but there are a lot of them in the system and they don't last long, and some % are not usable in these designs due to their wide variance of key parameters.)

I did order a pair of custom built clones of the Yuichi A-290 horn which should provide a lot of entertainment value once they finally get here. I imagine it is going to take me a while to figure out how to properly integrate them into the system.

So it looks like currently I really have two projects going if I exclude improving room acoustics which is ongoing. Not a personal record for sure. :)

Work is keeping me really busy as well.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
When I ran the repair shop, I kept my focus on maybe 2 or 3 customer jobs at a time, with more coming in on a regular basis.
I had to divide my time, answering the phone, doing paperwork, ordering parts, etc.
Now, semi-retired at my "home workbench", I tend to take things easy.
I'll focus on one project, initial design, make the modules for it, test them, make changes if needed, then set aside the job uncompleted, and move on to another.
Right now I've got 4 uncompleted projects sitting idle.
A stereo phono consolette, 2 radios, and an integrated stereo amp.

Part of this is due to the current situation in my local home improvement stores (Lowes-Home Depot).
I can't get the wood I need for the cabinets/enclosures for the above projects.
I think a Canadian supplier of "clear pine-select grade non-knotty wood (appearance boards) have not been in stock since 2019 for some reason.
Warm weather is coming, and I want to fire up the woodworking tools out in the garage and get these projects "homes" for all those modules and assemblies.
Anybody know why this clear pine has not been available, or when they'll stock it again?
I don't want to use the knotty pine, and the Poplar price is a turn-off.
So I wait....

Three electronic projects, and a few DIY jobs on the house were recently completed and in a couple weeks another big one will start, followed by a couple more.

It makes me happy and it keeps me going. My house is really coming along too. I'm blessed with friends that love to help me and look in on me. I feel lucky!

Anybody know why this clear pine has not been available, or when they'll stock it again?
I don't want to use the knotty pine, and the Poplar price is a turn-off.
So I wait....
I'm having a hard time sourcing trim for my house. I remember when the stores were overflowing with the stuff. One of my vendors says that pine trim has been sitting on ships awaiting delivery for over a year. All the mills that make the trim were shipped to South America (another Great Idea), and because of (lack of) logistics the trim is languishing in ports.

I did get some trim last year, but it was quite inferior to what I'm used to. Thanks to modern forestry techniques, wood isn't what it used to be and it's expensive as hell.

I can't wait for these brilliant eggheads come up with more ideas to improve out lives.

Reactions: 1 user