How low should I go

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Only you can determine that and the type of music you listen to. Personally I find an F3 between 40Hz - 50Hz works quite well for most music but if you're a headbanger or into electronic what ever it's called, then go for 30Hz - 40Hz.

Your room might cause a few problems due to the square dimensions which will exaggerate dips and peaks. Wanna knock out a wall :D

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I've always felt ~30Hz was reasonable for most music, but as Rabbitz points out, it depends very much on how and what you listen to. It will also depend on how much money you're willing to spend. Below ~30Hz at reasonable levels can be expensive. If you plan on using this system for home threater, then you may want to go even lower.

You need to figure out what your requirements are.

Hi,

because of room dimension you would get nearly no sound below 30Hz at least that is my experience. For music 40 Hz is often enough but there are several interesting CDs with output below that. I like it to feel the sound of them down there.

Stephan

A line array. Since a line array puts you in the near field instead of a far field like regular speakers. Room nodes are pretty much squished.
It's plenty deep enogh for me even for home theatre.

Attachments

• hpnx0294.jpg
    hpnx0294.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 462
because of room dimension you would get nearly no sound below 30Hz at least that is my experience.

My room is 21'x12"x8' and I have no problem going down to 10hz! Of course I'm using the Adire Tumult in a 6 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 10hz. My enclosure has multi tuning (numberous ports with plugs) and most of the time I keep it tuned to 16hz but if I tune to to 10hz, its fun to watch the windows flex and the light fixtures vbrate. And of course my favorite part is hearing the pictures rattle on the walls and seeing them warble.

For any "normal" music or movies 30hz will be adequate. 20hz is a kind of THX standard, although its rare that anything goes that low, and below 20 is probably overkill. I have yet to find any music(spare the 1812 overture with cannons and a few pipe organ peices) with any substantial content below 20hz.

I prefer overkill, obviously

It's very amusing to have guests over and play a 16hz tone at high level. "Are we having an earthquake????" No silly.... I live in the midwest!

BassAwdyO said:
For any "normal" music or movies 30hz will be adequate. 20hz is a kind of THX standard, although its rare that anything goes that low, and below 20 is probably overkill. I have yet to find any music(spare the 1812 overture with cannons and a few pipe organ peices) with any substantial content below 20hz.

I prefer overkill, obviously

It's very amusing to have guests over and play a 16hz tone at high level. "Are we having an earthquake????" No silly.... I live in the midwest!

several rap songs by Deltron go into the teens

Greets!

32 Hz won't be near low enough if you watch action or sci-fi movies and want to experience most/all that's on the soundtrack, especially more recent ones that have gotten a bit silly IMO. OTOH though, if you live in an apt. or similar, then 32 Hz is lower than your neighbors will tolerate.

GM

Lil John is terrible IMHO... kind of funny as a joke, but beyond that...

noob, are you talking about Del tha funky Homosapien, Kid Koala, and Dan the Automator's project 'Deltron 3030'? If so, which tracks have bass that low? I've never noticed anything particularly low on the album, and I listen to it a lot.

its rap what can you expect.

Well, considering one half of the rap is lyrcism, I expect some good rhymes, or at least some sort of flow. 'Yeah' and 'OK' just aren't going to do it. There is plenty of rap with very insightful lyrics, like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common, etc. Thats like saying its ok for Aqua to have horrible lyrics because 'its pop, what do you expect'? Well there is good pop with good lyrics, so its not innacurrate to point out that Aqua has crap lyrics.

And I disagree about the beats/production. I think they are pretty bad as well, again IMHO.

But, we are taking this thread WAY off topic now, so I guess I should say something about the topic at hand: Personally, I lived with speakers that had an F3 of 45hz (sealed) for a many years, and they kept me perfectly happy on all but modern HT soundtracks. Then again they were always in a small 'bedroom' size room. Its also important to note that its not just 'how low', its at what volume. You can build a 2 way bookshelf with a 5" woofer that has a 50hz f3, and it will likely not sound as dynamic or powerful down low as a big floorstander with the same f3, but using a big 8 or 10"
woofer.

BassAwdyO said:

not a huge rap fan myself... although some of it is alright

Lil Jon- Ye-ah-uh

I'll have to check that out though.... What are the titles do you know?

as far as Deltron's songs...

"3030"
"Mastermind"

etc... He is actually a "smart" rapper persay.... you should have a listen...

the lyrics aren't all about "bling", "women", or "cars"... nor is it a message of violence or that **** it's creative...

I don't know the notes.... like to the actual hz... it seems very low... my subs were tuned to 25hz and that's the ONLY thing that could make move it was obviously below tuning... low 20s, high teens easy

I actually made a rap song myself....
being a white boy I dont think it's too bad

It's all about bass though....

Using lil jon's beat for "If you dont give a damn we dont give a ____"

Lyrics are copyrighted

I only race one style and it aint the quarter mile,
I just race with bass and I come in first place,
All the time, with my 10 hertz sine,
Infrasound low just like a velodyne,
I got that bass,
The subs hit so clean they're like a bass machine,
Such bass you've never seen,
And when you open up my trunk then you'll see my bass case,
Because I got that deep bass,
I like to D B drag race

And when I'm looking for subs
Its all about excursion
Cuz thats what really matters for my infrasonic version
of that sound, the subs really do pound
Inch for inch round, the flex of the surround,
Cuz I am the Bass Master,
With my bass blaster
Could cause a bass disaster
and crack all your plaster
off the walls, resounding through the halls,
Bass so low that you can feel it in your balls

So If you got that bass go on turn it up
If you got that bass go on turn it up
Dont play that bass if it aint no deep bass
Dont play that bass if it aint no deep bass.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.