How is this possible? (A hi fi review. Review)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I listened to a Q Acoustics Concept 500 demonstrated by their local dealer in Sofia, Bulgaria (absolutely horrific approach and handling of our inquiry, we were ready to leave in the first 5 min). The speaker was nice, very beautiful finish and very well executed (the base is not my style, reminds me of those cheap bling bling speakers sold for 40$ but thats a taste which is subjective). It was a MTM with what looked as custom drivers (the tweeters looked susceptible close to the Seas T27TFFC) and rear facing port.

The speakers were lively and did have a good resolution with the exception of the lower mid. The bass lost control somewhere below 70Hz but it may also be a room node as the room was really poor. Overall they sounded impressive on the first listen. But it was clear the tweeter was raised 1-1.5db to give it that liveliness and extra detail but I am not convinced if I will listen to it for 15 min and still want to. There was also a very noticable resonance - one in the upper bass which could be heard on vocals and another higher in the treble. So, they were good but had issues here and there.

When I got home I was curious to see what reviews would say - guess :) It was a cult speaker in its price range with poetic stories about adventures and finesse, and how it shakes down speakers costing much more...Thats why I rarely read reviews although some medias tend to do them a bit more sterile and better in my opinion.
I have never heard the Concept 500 but I don't doubt what you heard -it seems too good to be true and especially now they want $8000 in Australia! I can't see 8k of speaker in that

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.