How good are Beyschlag resistors from Digi-Key?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just noticed that Digi-Key got new resistors line from Beyschlag. 1%, .40Watt, $.20 a pc. How good are they, any experience? Considering the speed Digi-Key sends the goods, and often occasions that one runs out of certain resistors values this might be an alternative to Holcos or Dales. I remember that Bernhard was saying good things about them in some old thread.

So, are they any good?:scratch:

http://canada.digikey.com/scripts/ca/dksus.dll?KeywordSearch

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Peter Daniel said:
I just noticed that Digi-Key got new resistors line from Beyschlag. 1%, .40Watt, $.20 a pc. How good are they, any experience? Considering the speed Digi-Key sends the goods, and often occasions that one runs out of certain resistors values this might be an alternative to Holcos or Dales. I remember that Bernhard was saying good things about them in some old thread.

So, are they any good?:scratch:

I had never heard of these until Allen Wright told me they are what he uses in his gear. Nice to know they can be had in NA now.

dave

Peter,

Sorry, but no. The only time that I have compared resistors is when I switched some sandcast emitter resistors with some caddocks. There was a definate improvement in the quality of transients.

Dale

P.S. Unfortunately, I don't usually have time to swap components. My wife gets mad when I take equipment out of service.

Taken from <a href="http://www.audionote.co.uk/rest.htm">AUDIO NOTE UK</a>
<i><font color=#800000>Beyschlag.

We offer three quality levels of resistor quality, all are 1%, starting with the Beyschlag metalfilm, which are slightly magnetic (as are the vast majority of other makes of metal film resistors), but nonetheless very good sounding, as used in all our UK-made amplifiers, up to and including quality Level 3, the MEISHU/P3/P4, 300B no-feedback triode amplifiers.

Beyschlag 1 watt, 1% resistors up to 500KOhm, £ 0.11, above 500KOhm £ 0.13 each.

Due to the low cost of the Beyschlag resistors we impose a minimum order value of £ 25.00 on all orders that include these resistors.</font></i>

James

Peter,
the light blue Beyschlag metal film resistors are slightly magnetic, nevertheless they sound very good.
Once got samples from Allen Wright, tried them out in the SE MC headamp as drain and input resistor.
Later i settled on tantalum resistors made by Corning, they were better. But made from unobtainium.

Holco: lead2element contact mechanically unstable. I do not use such junk, no matter how it sounds.

Dale: haven't yet stepped into non-magnetic ones and i found all magnetic resistors to be loathsome, including Dale, and bettered by nonmagnitic ones

Vishay metal band resistor: simply the best but sonically merciless.
Shinko Tantalum: most beautifulm sonically
Corning Tantalum: the same.

OffTopic: i refuse to use most mica capacitors for the same reason as the Holcos and i am the mica man here.

I have to agree with Jocko as far as i refuse to accept any mica as not guilty for sonic mess unless this particular mica has proved to improve sonics in this particular application and i have tried before with moderate violence to rip off the legs and then measured for internal shorts.
German rhyme:
nix is' schlimmer
als zuviel Glimmer
(phonetic translation):
nothing is eeek!!!er
than too much mica!
:)

I agree about the Holcos. I used to use them extensively in my tube gear. But I stopped using them years ago after having many headaches trying to track down problems created by their poor reliability. The Holcos just wouldn't hold up to their max. voltage ratings, even though I never use a resistor above 2/3 it's max rating. They are also not very mechanically sturdy - I've had the leads come off on a couple of them, but other resistors I've abused with pliers, and they held up just fine. Those things were a nightmare for me, I'm glad I'm not shelling out the dough for them anymore.

Holco might not be good for tube enthusists, but for ss guy like me, they were the best deal around. I never abuse my parts and always use the proper spacing for resistors.;) On some occasions I preferred Holcos to MK132. Too bad they've changed the production.

Anybody knows about a good substitude for Holcos in their price range. Looks like those Beyschlag resistors, but I don't think they much Holcos.

Residual Fields

Bernard, this is not the first time that you have mentioned magnetic components, in this case resistors.
Can you give a sonic critique of resistors in your experience please ?.
And sonics of magnetic components in your experience ?.
A standard TV repair workshop item is a CRT degausssing wand which is a large coil wound on an iron rod and encased in a plastic tube.
Normal usage is to swamp any residual magnetic field with the wand and slowly move it away a long distance (1.5M or more) before turning off the degauassing wand power.
This slow removal of the alternating magnetic field leaves a zero residual field in the materials being demagnetised.
I have tried this on audio gear in the past and found a subtle sonics change.
Have you tried this ?.

Regards, Eric.

Eric,
being a tube person, i cannot avoid magnetic components totally. Anode chokes and signal transformers are heavily magnetic.

But i try to avoid magnetic components as far as possible from lots of sonic comparisons i made in the past. Everytime i swapped a magnetic component against a non-magnetic one of comparable quality, sonics became more open, more musical, PRaT improved, sand between the teeth gone. Even with the magnetic collet chuck bushings of the fancy German WBT RCA plugs this was the case. When i replaced them by non-magnetic bushings, much better.

No, i cannot give a scientific explanation for that, just listening experience. A buddy of mine who is an amplifier and speaker designer is so paranoid about magnetics that he replaces even op-amps and BJTs by comparable types having non-magnetic leads. Anytime he did, a step forward sonically, so he reported.
He also is high priest of Vishay metal ribbon resistors (if the Vishay sounds worse, something else must be wrong) which indicates he is not sitting on his ears :)

Anyway, i take a swing on explaining it.
The magnetic thing (whatever it is) is influenced by the field of the audio signal in its proximity; as induction takes place here and the magnetic thing has inferior magnetic characteristics, lot of hysteresis effects occur and energy is sucked from the audio signal inductively, such deterioating the audio signal. If the magnetic thing is the conductor itself, add eddy current losses od replace inductive losses by eddy current ones.

Anyway, i take a swing on explaining it.
The magnetic thing (whatever it is) is influenced by the field of the audio signal in its proximity;
Seems not so far-fetched. Two magnetic components in eachothers vicinity will act as a parasitic transformer. The amount of bad depends of course on the signal amplitude of the 'sender' and the susceptibility of the 'receiver'.

As another fine example of this, I found that in switching amps, the coils in the output filter broadcast a lot of magnetic HF energy, which was picked up by the power tranny. IMD guaranteed. Shielding the output HF filter coils with mu-metal (from Dave) made a lot of difference. Might also work in other applications! :magnet:

Remco

TVI is wrigth.
Audio note uses Beyschlag resistors.

I have two AN amps (assembled by myself) and they came with beyschlag resistors.

The sound is very good , but I didn't tried to switch with dale's or anything else so :(

I bought from Farnell some welwyn for my future Aleph 5, but didn't tried it yet.

does anyone have any experience with these?

Peter,
I also could not find the Beyschlag resistors at DigiKey.
Are the BC Components resistors that Haravdian mentioned the same as Beyschlag?
BC Components is an large European manufacturer of passive parts like resistors, trimmers, caps, etc. I think they used to be Philips.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.