How effective are "vocal projector" style cabinets?

Peavey, EV, Sunn (I think) all had these type with throat area ~= or >Sd, and horn depth only a few inches.

A friend who built the one below with PRV 10", compared it to a simple box.- Female listeners preferred the vocal projector to the plain sealed box.

Under what circumstances is this technique useful?

VOCAL PROJECTOR STYLE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Paging, public safety announcements, lectures.
the typical configurations consist of short/small bandwidth limited directional horns or shallow waveguides none of which needs to be audiophile in quality as they only need to get the "voice band" above ambient noise by 6db to be useful.

Reactions: 1 user
Those columns are beautiful !

I still have two YBA3 and 1-YBA-1 Traynor tube heads - in its day the Custom Special with two 1-18" (Goodmans ?) folded horn Traynor cabinets made wonderful sounds.

Who were Traynor's speaker cabinet designers in the days before Bill Woods ?

A friend who built the one below with PRV 10", compared it to a simple box.- Female listeners preferred the vocal projector to the plain sealed box.

Under what circumstances is this technique useful?
I'd expect the projector to produce a bit more directivity which also includes to a bit of a midrange boost making vocals more prominent. This was all that was available back in the infancy of PA systems when some version of an early musicsal instrument driver were the only things available, but technology has produced hugh gains in speaker performance since then so it would have to be a specific use case before one would deliberately choose this design these days.

Reactions: 1 user
i like those old columns despite there age and crudeness in engineering from the dawning days of Pete Traynor's foray into PA, so much so that i found some replacement drivers for the old and tired RSC 8 inch drivers in them.(i found some Studio Pro wh8's at Parts Express for dirt)
those on top some bass reflex 15's makes for an adequate/ decent PA for small shows, despite being a short line they have quite a wide horizontal coverage pattern which is great for open air shows.

freddi yup almost all the Traynor columns are Pete's design (columns where all the rage at the time and that tech was pretty "open" shared knowledge)after that there was a collaboration between he and tech from Czechoslovakia (his name escapes me at the moment) anywho he has the principle designer of the "Group" series of amps Bill Woods designs i believe started with the Trijector series and evolved into the Sound Crew Series that almost became a splinter brand at one point
1714092829544.png

Last edited: