How easy is it to drive an op-amp from a 9v battery?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MikeHunt79 said:
I've seen some portable headphone amps that do it, they mention something about "floating ground". Do they simply use a voltage divider, or is it a little more complex than that?
Of cource you can use a passive voltage divider but it consumes power which could sometime be critical. It's better to use an active voltage divider, an opamp or a special IC.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tle2426.pdf

I prefer the two 9V myself as split supplies.

Yes you can run one battery and use a resistor voltage divider with a filter cap, and it works just fine, but if you can use two batteries, that's less parts you have to use and you get a better voltage swing with 2.

I use the +/-9V battery supply when testing freshly built amp circuit, so I can get the amp working on lower voltage, before I give it the "real" power from the mains transformer. If you accidently short the 9V batteries, no smoke most of the time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.