how does the UCD400/LCaudio compare with commercial Class D products?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I have been following the threads on the UCD400/180 and the LCaudio offerings. I am thinking of building monoblocks based on the UCD400 or the ICE500A. Question is: how will it compare with commercial Class D products. One amp that I have heard and liked is the BelCanto Evo4 (tripath based). Will the DIY UCD400 match the sound quality of the BelCanto?

greg filip said:
Hi guys,

I have been following the threads on the UCD400/180 and the LCaudio offerings. I am thinking of building monoblocks based on the UCD400 or the ICE500A. Question is: how will it compare with commercial Class D products. One amp that I have heard and liked is the BelCanto Evo4 (tripath based). Will the DIY UCD400 match the sound quality of the BelCanto?

My UcD180 modules sound a lot better than my Tripath based Marantz amp. However, built quality of the BelCanto will probably be quite a bit better than the Marantz since the Marantz is a 4-channel amp that costs about $1000-1100 here in Japan.

Best regards

Gertjan

compared with the well-known Panasonic sa-xr45 (Equibit-based) or the 3d Lab i500 ( well-known in France , Tripath-based ) , the Hypex UCD180 is clearly better , more natural but i ' ve experienced that the result depends a lot on filter caps brands

alain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.