How does sound travel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bluebeard, hello fellow Michigander.

If you bolt an audio driver to the floor it will certainly make sound. I think a large glass panel will make a better radiator that a hunk of wood with joists and cross braces and who knows what all nailed to it. But it all depends on the quality of sound you want to result and the freq range you are considering.

And on the other hand, I could be wrong and it might work well.

I work in pro audio, so this stuff is out of my real area of expertise. I would think that the typical joisted floor would not make a great radiator as a subwoofer. There are commercial subwoofers meant to mount under the floors between joists and there is a plain old standard floor register grating to allow the sound into the room. I think Parts Express sells them even. I know any number of installed sound equipment makers sell them. I would be looking in Home Theater section. In-floor sub-woofer.

Can't hurt to contact PE or the manufacturer for further application information.

sam9 said:

I just thought that since this is a DIY forum, building a real one might be more interesting. However, that is a very cool website and applet. Completly appart from the original post's issue, I was really impressed by looking at a monopole vs a dipole simulation. It shows visually Siegfried Linwitz's contention about the value of orthagonal nulls with dipole speakers!
My first post had him trying it out in real-life in a swimming pool. The simulator is a nice dry way of seeing what happens.

Did I miss this something in this thread? Has it been stated that sound is just the molecules in our atmosphere vibrating against each other? The "Sound" travels as one molecule vibrates against the next which eventually vibrates our cochlia?

It is not a wave such as energy on the ElectroMagnetic Spectrum as it cannot travel in a vacuum, which leads to other discussions of light being both a wave energy and a particle energy.

The reason why you can here a speaker driver if it is covered is because acoustcally the very object used to block the sound will vibrate and in itself become a particle radiator.

Just did not know if this basic law of particle physics had been explained.

BTW if a tree falls in the woods and there is no cochlia, natural or artificial, to record the subsequent vibrations than how could a "Sound" exist?

Sorry carry on

Regards

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.