How does Morels sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of morel Mw144 that i use in 12 liter boxes. (one per box) with a 45mm id port that is 153 mm long. the sound is amazing . extremely fast and very deep well defined bass. i use this in conjuction with ribbon tweeter and they complement each other very well

regards
Rudi

I have a closed two way system (about 12 litres) with a MW164 and a MDT-30s. I recently added a bassreflex enclosure (about 50litres) with a ScanSpeak to each channel (left and right).
Great sound, unobtrusive. Even though the tweeters are playing about 1dB too loud (according to the specs) .I you want maximum definition go for ribbons, and other brands like Scanspeak or Focal, but I have found these to be too "upfront" for my taste.

Jarno said:
I you want maximum definition go for ribbons, and other brands like Scanspeak or Focal, but I have found these to be too "upfront" for my taste.

Couldn't comment on ribbons as I've never had the pleasure of critically listening to any. For definition though I find my Morel MDT-39s more detailed than any of my Focal tweeters (TC120tdx2, TC90TD5B). I agree with Jarno, I find them too upfront, and they certainly 'ting' and do other sparkly effects well, but overall I can hear more through the Morels. Perhaps it's my crossover implementation, I don't know, but it has given me a taste for Morel and I look forward to trying their more refined designs in the future. (I have a secret 'fantasy' design cooked up somewhere using a Supreme 130 :)).

hep said:
rudi,

the mw144 in a 12 liter vented box with a ribbon tweeter sounds something which could fit to my specifications. Can you tell more? Which tweeter, what kind of a x-over, etc.

there is a host of extremely good ribbons still hidden form the world. you will be able to find some from Pinsh Audio, UK based (i know they aren't well known) but i think they will be. you can buy directly from them but the range is very wide so you have to specify exactly what you want, there web site is under construction but you can keep looking at www.pinsh.com

they have a wide range from very small ribbons up to full range ribbons available, in my own system i use two Mw144 in seperate boxes and one of there midrange ribbons(700hz upto 40 000hz) it acts as a super tweeter aswell

they make use of morel units in all there designs and is maybe the only speaker that matches the speed of the ribbon

regarding dome tweeters. they will always sound upfront. once you heard a ribbon you will never go back to a dome even the really expensive ones

I nearly forgot about the crossover. i use a very simple first order without any additional correcting networks. this i have found to give me the cleanest sound. you do not loose the music

1.2 mH choke 6.8mf poly cap and a series resistor (and this is not due to the lack of knowing how to design the others, i have done them all), it is simply the best . complicated crossovers are for drivers that have problems. the morels don't have any problems. even the little 5" speakers have a 3"voice coil. you have so much control there it is unbelievable

5th element said:
What are the prices like on their ribbons?

I think they are very well priced compared to other units out there. you might find that other units looks more commercial but i found that these sound the best by far, they are hand made with only the best materials available. the best would be for you to contact Pinsh directly for some prices and Units that are available

I'm definatly a Morel fan. I've used their MDT10 tweets in my car for a few years now and haven't found anything I'd give them up for. I did a lot of research when I was deciding on my new front stage and listend to a whole lot of different drivers and couldn't find somethign that quite fit my tastes. Focal was too bright, JL was too 'dead', JBL was too mechanical...it went on. I bought the MDT10's on a blind run (couldn't hear them) and I fell in love. :cool:

I also ran a pair of Mw166 mids for a while. They sounded really good but weren't fit for a car audio app. I think they would have sounded great in a pair of cabinets though. I wish I hadn't smoked them...

I haven't heard Dynaudio, so I can't really compare. The best I can say is they're very natural. They sound like the instrument they're reproducing and nothing else. Morel makes really nice drivers.

I used an active xover. 18dB/oct set at 2500hz

More Europe or morel USA?

Dear cathode,
I could find your statement quite offending but, before we do that lets remember that morel split a few years ago to morel USA (still manufacturing in Israel) and morel Europe, and the manufacture in Europe.
I know only the Israeli brand, because I am from Israel and they are okay, about the European brand I know nothing.
Hope you didn’t mean offend any one,

Sincerely yours,
Joel.

Joel,

I was actually not aware of the fact that Morel had split, they were an israeli company when I auditioned their drivers. I did not mean offending anyone, it was merely a remark for people taking attention to where their money ends up. That's all. At least in my part of the world, many people see this as an issue. But all this is off-topic; I agree the drivers (at least the ones I heard) sounded good indeed. For moving coil tweeters I still preferred Hiquophon or SS.

Edit: typos

I was under the thought that Morel USA and Morel Israel were different companies. I'm almost positive the split was there, not with a Morel Europe and Morel Israel/USA. I've always read that the Israel drivers are the superior ones since they're made by the origonal company, not a spin off. I owned the ones from Israel I think.

My biggest complaint with the mw166 was it's low end extension. In my doors (IB install) and in my kick pods (very low volume sealed, then semi AP) they wouldn't play below 100hz with any kind of authority. WHen I tried to listen to them at any volume past conversation level they woud break up and pop on the low end. I never got to hear them in a set of cabinets so I can't comment there, but they didn't do well down low in the set ups I used. I was told by a guy on Elite Car Audio that the Morel 8" drivers don't have this problem at all. He said he found the same thing with their 6.5" mids, but he uses a pair of 8's (no sure which...) and he said they put out some killer midbass IB in his doors.

cathode_leak said:
Joel,

I was actually not aware of the fact that Morel had split, they were an israeli company when I auditioned their drivers. I did not mean offending anyone, it was merely a remark for people taking attention to where their money ends up. That's all. At least in my part of the world, many people see this as an issue. But all this is off-topic; I agree the drivers (at least the ones I heard) sounded good indeed. For moving coil tweeters I still preferred Hiquophon or SS.

Edit: typos

Split or no split, your money is going to some guy who did the engineering. It matters not where the money ends up if the product is good you buy it. Unless it is funding a known terrorist organization or child labour/sweat shop enviormental abuser, then dont worry about who the main man is. And by using that criteria i would stop shopping at ANY major corporations stores. Stick to the mom and pop shops so you are thrice removed from what you deem offensive. Mabey you can sleep better :mad:

Seriously this is an audio forum where i would think ...... never mind, pointless to debate this :mad:

Some more differences

I would like to shed some light over this subject.
Today, I participated in a couple of debates about the Morel driver's, one in this international forum and the other in a local Israeli forum (Tapuz), I learned quite a few facts from both.
Morel originated in Israel and the chief engineer, Me'er Mordechay, is still the head of morel (Israel and Europe). Morel first the set its offices in England and manufactured there, old drivers still carry the label "made in England".
The other Morel is called Morel Acoustics USA (notice the Acoustics), and the their chief man name is Mikhael Shabani.
During the mid 70's they (Morel A. USA) where Morel distributors in the USA, then they had a hight and a legal struggle. at the end they split.
Notice that the supreme tweeter is sold today only by it's inventor, Morel (Israel) and same for the Hybrid series.
The USA Company has the Shahabani series, and the original Morel don’t have those.

In the Israeli forum quite a few people shouted pretty loud when I thought both products share the same qualities, people here (in Israel) much prefer the Original Morel, even though there is another manufacturer (get ready) called Omega Audio (I visited them last weekend) and they manufacture some of the products for the Morel Acoustic USA company, they showed me the machines and the labels…
Confused? No need, it's really quite simple.
So, practicly, both companies manufacture in Israel, both share the same old lines, but there are some differences, each have it's own factory.

Hope i got it all clear as a sunshine.

Joel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.