How do you compare Seas Exotic with other 8 inchers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To make a story short, Ive read here most of the threads about Philips 9710MC, Lowther, Pionner, Fostex, Aer, Fertin, Feastrex, Tandbang etc.(not heard them all for shure!)

Pricewise (satisfaction per dollar wich one gives you the best satisfaction).

I remember the Philips 9710 (in the 1975 glory years:p)and they where cheap for satisfaction/excitement compared to other expensive multiway speakers.

What if you had a 5.1 surround system with full rangers (8") with a sub of course. It could be quite cheap(depending if you don't buy Aer, Lowther or feastrex...) and it would have the benefit of a seamless integration for the center channel.

Seas exotic(SEAS X1-08 EXOTIC F8) is expensive but how does it compares to other drivers about -50%/+50% of it's price range?

Just thinking about it;)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi, I have compared the F8 to the Fostex FE108E Sigma (not exactly a match pricewise though) and the Quad ESL63. So, all are fullrangers but fall out of your +/-50% price range limit.

Anyway I felt the F8 "clearer" than the FE108, and less stressful to listen to. It has a lot of low-level detail and is also more balanced. Compared to the ESL63, it is a little bit more "in your face" (or the Quads too laid back), I have a hard time deciding which one I like more. The F8 tends to lose out on complex, large settings e.g. symphony orchestras - with voices, strings, folk music with not so much happening at the same time it is just wonderful.

So, not sure this makes it an ideal choice for a surround system. If all you do is watch movies then the FE108 might be for you, its much more compact ( I use it in a 8l vented enclosure (yes, not a horn)) and it does just fine. Badly needs a subwoofer though

hope that helps

I do believe we've just discovered why you find the Seas less 'clearer' and 'less stressful to listen to than the 108. With little in the way of linear excursion, in an 8 litre vented box the VC on the Sigma must be spending more time out of the gap than in it. Fostex drivers overload reasonably gracefully, but there are limits...

Comparing between drivers is always a crapshoot; unless you're comparing between equivalent units (i.e. same size, & designed for the same purpose) it's not going to tell you a great deal other than that they're different. The Exotic's supposed to be a good unit for what it is. What will give the best results depends on what it is you want to do with said drivers, the rest of your system / room, to say nothing of personal taste.

sergeloc

Hello,
i compair in different enclosures
Lowther, Fostex, Sica, Nirvana, Visaton
with measurements,
the Seas is a good driver but
for a 5.1 a bit expensive,
i prefer for classic the B200 Visaton, no wizzer!
or the AN super 8" in
my Trumpet or Schalmei Sat with 2 or 4 Alphorn sub,
see my HP.

Attachments

• 2alphornTrumpetkl.dat.jpg
    2alphornTrumpetkl.dat.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,855
  • alphorn schalmeikl.dat.jpg
    alphorn schalmeikl.dat.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,754
Beautiful speakers cabinets hm!

I know that the Fostex line is quite used here for dy projects.

True that when those speakers used in rear loaded enclosures, they can be big and this can be a lot of woodwork for a 5.1 system. Imagine the cc in a dual rear loaded (with the tranducer at the center of the cabinet). At least you have a better cc integration than any other systems tone wise and dispersion wise;)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi Scottmoose,
agree. Apologize I missed to mention a few more things, the listening levels were not VERY loud, and I was using the FE108 with a subwoofer (so not asking a lot of bass). The F8 was used without a subwoofer, and on an open baffle. I guess that "distorts" the test setup quite a bit, since the conditions are so different for the different drivers.

>>> Comparing between drivers is always a crapshoot; unless you're comparing between equivalent units (i.e. same size, & designed for the same purpose) it's not going to tell you a great deal other than that they're different.

Agree.

>>> Pricewise (satisfaction per dollar wich one gives you the best satisfaction).

The ones that you can afford that sound best to you. I have thought about the Seas, Lowther and Feastrex but having several full range drivers that vary in price i find little in the way of enjoyment vs price.

A VW GTI is an enjoyable car to drive but it's cheap compared to a Porsche... and with the Porsche i have to worry about dings. I'd hate to own the Seas and be unhappy with it.

>>> has anyone compared the X1-08 EXOTIC F8 to the cheaper FA22RCZ ? On paper they look the same.

I think that's a fair question and would make a good comparison. Having a few Fostex drivers i can say that their higher end Sigma line tends to sound a bit better than their lower end line in the way of smoothness and in their ability to handle more power gracefully. Otherwise, they are similar.

As for comparing Feastrex, Lowther, etc... to get the most from them we can all see that many here go to a lot of trouble to make these expensive drivers sound their best. Very large baffles and complicated back horns are the norm. When buying them we need to ask if we have the time, patience and space to own these lovely, refined drivers. The reward of dialing them in just right is probably worth it if one is willing to try.

Zilla

Thanks God,
I note that the SEAS site gives different cabinet plans for each of these drivers which is odd given they are both 8". I have the cheaper ones which I am running OB with a sub, but there is a hole in the upper bass.

Any recommendations for a cab for the FA22RCZs ? I am a dab hand at woodwork so no probs making something complex (famous last words !)

I read testimonials reflecting that (as we'd expect) the expensive Seas is quite a bit better than the cheap one.
I've meanwhile also read several very positive comments about the top of the range Tang Bands, and while I have not read a direct comparison with the Seas it could well be that these are "very sufficient" in quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.