How do I open a Bose Acoustimass 25 Series II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love how on DIY forums (or any forum) very often the first piece of advice is that you can't DIY.

I'm trying to wire an Acoustimass 5 subwoofer to accept a RCA input.
All I have is the power cable.
Any one know how to do this?
Can't do it myself, I'm guessing?

Bose acoustimass 25 series 2

Hello, After reading all the threads I found the little catch in the gap between the plastic and timber box on the top, pulled off the knobs, took out the rwo screws an a sharp bang downwards removes the cover.
The power fuse us ok.
My unit just switches off the sound after 5 seconds to 2 minutes. the consul is still displaying but no sound whichever input is selected.

Bose cant help, too old to repair they say, they did send me a new cable for between the consul FOC! but it was the wrong one, so they sent me another .... the right one but it did not fix the problem.

Their next suggestion, I couldn't believe ..... from a premier Hi Fi manufacture..... buy a second hand one on ebay !!!! I asked for a circuit diagram ....no it is a secret!!! Surely their technical dept can advise me of the likely cause and an agent who could fix it ? No.

I found a thread which said it was probably a thermal fuse which cuts out the power transformer if the volume is too high for too long or the system just overheats, this fuse does not reset apparently and is not easily replaced but it can be done with a new standard or thermal fuse from Maplin or similar.
Sounded logical to me , I had played pulse by Pink Floyd and comfortably numb was loud (ish). I have a soldering gun and a jewellers vice, and apparently you have to glue the component to the pcb,
Now I cant find the thread again!!!!!

I need to Know where is this thermal fuse on the pcb, what does it look like? I can send you a photograph of the board if need be. What value fuse should I buy to replace this thermal one that has blown. Don't think I can just bridge it in this instance but maybe I could to confirm if this resolves the problem.
To be honest I have bought a used acoustimass unit from ebay a lifestyle 30, which does work if I use a different cable but I hate being defeated and would like to fix my original sub woofer.
Anyone help me to identify and locate this replacement?

Kind regards
57EVE T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.