how do i mount my sub to my enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok i built the enclosure for my hometheater sub......
i was just wondering how i mount the thing to the enclosure?

what do i need and where can i get it?
i would think they have kits avable at any store that sells subs and enclosures....ex. best buy, circut city, exc.

well i need to know fairly soon so when the woofer arives i can mount it.....

thanks,

sorry for the stupid question.....i am a newbe.....this be my first project ever....

Hi

One alternative is T-nuts, but personally I dont like T-nuts, they come loose to easy and they often end up near the edge causing some problems.
If you have access to some metal working tools you can make your own nuts (far better IMHO)look at the links below just make sure when you drill and thread the hole that it must be exact angle

http://w1.331.telia.com/~u33113170/myav/images/mutter.jpg

Airtight modell:
http://w1.331.telia.com/~u33113170/myav/images/sub/kloss3.jpg

Hope you get the idea.

so all i have to do is drill the holes and put a bolt through and put a nut on the end?

more details.....

i have never done this befor nore do i have access to examples.....

PLEASE IT WONT TAKE LONG TO HELP!
PLEASE DONT BE A$$ES AND SHARE YOUR KNOLAGE!
POST HOW YOU DO IT! AND HOW IT'S SUPOST TO BE DONE!

THANKS

I like to use a combination of a gasket of neoprene, cut with a gasket cutter available from your local auto supply shop, and fasteners called Wellnuts. A Wellnut is a neoprene tube with a flange. At the bottom of the tube is a brass nut. The neoprene tube is available in varying lengths with varying thread sizes. Drill the correct size bolt holes and place woofer in cutout with gasket. Insert the Wellnut into the hole you drilled and insert your bolt. As you tighten the bolt the nut is pulled up compressing the neoprene. It is the neoprene compressed that holds the woofer in place. What you end up with is a gasket that seals and isolates the driver with a clamping system that does not couple the driver to the box. This, I believe, goes a long way to controling cabinet resonances. This is not a good system to use if you use 3/4 inch mdf and you recess the driver but used with 3/4 inch mdf and no recess is fine.

Brent

Go to a home improvment store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and get a small roll of closed-cell foam that's used for insulating around windows, doors etc. Make sure it's closed cell though not open cell. This stuff is sticky on one side, so run a ring of it around the back of your sub so that when you set the sub in your mounting hole the foam is sandwiched between the sub and the box. This will give you a really good seal. As far as securing the sub to the box. I personally like to use T-Nuts, but it is true that they can be a pain in the butt. You could just use some sheetrock screws if you don't think you'll be removing the sub much. The main disadvantage of screws is that they can strip out in MDF if you take them in/out a lot or try and overtighten them. With T-Nuts you can crank away w/o them stripping. Screws should be adequate though, I've made dozens of boxes for cars with screws and never once had any problems with drivers coming loose or leaking (as long as you use the foam). So for a first box I'd suggest sticking with nice simple drywall screws and foam insulation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.