How Do I Measuring Driver 'Acoustic Data'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can try that.

I have some cushions and I also have a large hairy dog. Do you think I could use her, too? ;)

On the serious side. Let's assume I raise the cabinet up 4 feet in my room, which is 15 feet by 33 feet and somewhat live due to the floor,walls, and ceiling. Will there be a limit to how low I will be able to realistically measure down in frequency with a gated measurement?

This is what my current room looks like (the dog is not shown):

My Listening Room

The large Dalek-shaped objects are my cabinets.

Opps! I forgot to add ceiling height. It is 8 feet at the low end and it rises to about 12 feet at the peak above where the cabinets are now sitting.

If you can get atleast 5 feet from any reflection you should be able to get a decent gated response. Putting pillows/cushions on the floor in front of the speaker (Geddes does this) will help with the floor reflection. Im not sure what your ceiling height is when your speakers are 5 feet away from the cabinet wall but you should be okay. Im HT room has 9 foot ceilings (only place with no treatments) and my measurements are pretty clean.

TS parameters are fine for woofers (Great for model subwoofers) but IMO they are almost useless for tweeters.

Measuring real impedance (bass box pro does this no?) and getting the impulse response (HOLMimpulse) is key to building crossovers.

Can you build crossovers from TS parameters?

Well, I think yes and no. It is a little like shooting for the Moon with binoculars. You head out in the right direction, but a few mid-course corrections are usually in order along the way.

Published specs have a tolerance. They don't publish that tolerance, but there is variation from driver to driver. I also understand that the enclosure is an important part of the equation as well as a few other external factors such as the amps impedance, etc.

Well, I think yes and no. It is a little like shooting for the Moon with binoculars. You head out in the right direction, but a few mid-course corrections are usually in order along the way.

Published specs have a tolerance. They don't publish that tolerance, but there is variation from driver to driver. I also understand that the enclosure is an important part of the equation as well as a few other external factors such as the amps impedance, etc.

The enclosure and driver distances will change the delay (phase) of the drivers (how close or those drivers on the each plane?) The enclosure width will also create a diffraction in the bass response. I can not remember right now if its a -3dB or -6dB drop, it depends on the baffle width, the wider the baffle the lower it happens on the response curve. My baffles are 16" wide and I have it happening around 250Hz.

The enclosure and driver distances will change the delay (phase) of the drivers (how close or those drivers on the each plane?) The enclosure width will also create a diffraction in the bass response. I can not remember right now if its a -3dB or -6dB drop, it depends on the baffle width, the wider the baffle the lower it happens on the response curve. My baffles are 16" wide and I have it happening around 250Hz.

Mine are of variable width, but the average width is 20" for the woofer, which works out to about 210 Hz.

The actual step down is somewhere from 6 to 3 dB, depending on the room. In total free space it should be -6 dB.

The trapezoid face on my cabinet probably smears that diffraction point.

If you look at my other post HERE, you can see how the drivers are mounted in my system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.