• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How do I calculate (or measure) my amp's output impedance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Signal generator.

Hi Saurav,
Burn a test signal CD and play it on your cd player through your older amp ( or build a small chip one ) and use the speaker output with a protective resistor - say 100 ohms - in series with the output. You have a readymade signal generator in your bedroom.
Cheers.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> switch from an 8 ohm to a 4 ohm load resistor

I like this trick best.

Personally, I use no-load and rated-load. Measure the 8Ω tap, well below clipping, open-circuit and then with an 8Ω resistor.

However as noted, some tube amps act real different (or are unstable) with no-load. 16/8Ω on the 8Ω tap should be good, although it forces you to measure a small difference.

I have not seen a 8Ω resistor as inductive as the average SET transformer, but carbon or non-inductive would be needed for high precision.

Do run a sweep: 30Hz, 100Hz, 1KHz, 5KHz, 10KHz, 15KHz; and see how flat the impedance is. For most SETs the impedance will droop in deep-bass and rise/wobble at the top of the audio band.

In calculation: look-up Rp or estimate it from the plate curves. Add the tranny primary resistance. Divide by the tranny impedance ratio. Add the tranny secondary resistance. That's the mid-band output impedance (without feedback; divide by feedback ratio for estimate Zout with feedback).

If you have not picked the transformer yet: for Hi-Fi response the DC resistance on each winding will be at least 5% of the rated impedance, and in SET design it could be 10%. Primary and secondary DC resistance tend to be about equal (when adjusted for transformer impedance ratio).

So a "5K:8Ω" tranny could have 250 to 500Ω DC in the primary, 0.4 to 0.8Ω DCR in the secondary.

The higher DCR, in good SET design, go with improved bass response. Yes, the deeper the bass the more power is "wasted". No free lunch.

Note that this can mean that: even if you had a triode with ZERO plate resistance, the Damping Factor might be only 10 or even 5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.