How bad is this DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am in a questo get Preamp output from my receiver:

Add pre-amp outputs to AVR (Sony STR-DN1080)

I ended purchasing a GefenTV HDMI to HDMI Plus Audio Converter GTV-HDMI-2-HDMIAUD for real cheap, just to try to test my idea of getting digital audio from the secondary HDMI output of my receiver...

Well, after receive it, the first I thing I did was disassemble it to see what DAC was using. The answer it seems it's a Cirrus Logic 4353.

So, how bad is this DAC? Do you think it's at least same as good as the internal DAC of my receiver?

montar fotos gratis

Here some specs:
https://statics.cirrus.com/pubs/proDatasheet/CS4353_F3.pdf
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/23126/STMICROELECTRONICS/M54HC4353C1R.html

Later I will report if I can get LPCM 7.1 audio to the GefenTV converter from the secondary output of my receiver.

Looking forward to your opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!
Yep... main use is home theater for movie watching, no critical listening.
You would say this DAc it's equal to the ones used normally in AVR's?

I recall having salvaged a DAC from a Denon AVR. 24 bit like yours and a performance close to the one of your 4553. The 4553 I will say is common for such use.
Be aware that when I say "mediocre", I mean compared to what you would use as an audiophile for music today. For AVR purposes the 4553 is really fine. Home theaters is not about distinguishing small details in the sound. My guess is that you find 4553 performance in a typical ordinary CD player bought today. 15 years ago, 4553 performance was fine.

I recall having salvaged a DAC from a Denon AVR. 24 bit like yours and a performance close to the one of your 4553. The 4553 I will say is common for such use.
Be aware that when I say "mediocre", I mean compared to what you would use as an audiophile for music today. For AVR purposes the 4553 is really fine. Home theaters is not about distinguishing small details in the sound. My guess is that you find 4553 performance in a typical ordinary CD player bought today. 15 years ago, 4553 performance was fine.

Thanks! I will try it tonight and report it.

Regards.

Well, my idea of adding pre amp to my AVR was not good. The secondary HDMI output of my SONY AVR does not output AUDIO, unless I choose the option --> Audio Output = AMP+TV <-- The problem is that with that option activated, the receiver switches to 2.0 Audio so It beats the purpose.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.