How about a subwoofer gallery ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll kick it off...

Attachments

• lowball_front.jpg
    lowball_front.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 674
Sorry for the quality of the picture. The sub was not the original subject of the photo and so perspective is off and it was cropped out of larger picture.

Total investment in this sub is about $40 but it performs much better than one would expect for that dollar amount.

The "cabinet" is a mantle frame from a defective electric "fireplace" which I purchased for $5. I bought a $20ish buyout woofer from PE which had nearly ideal specs for the 5cu foot or so volume and sealed alignment. The grill cloth (not shown) was salvaged from a Wurlitzer electronic organ. Bracing and baffle plate were leftover scraps from the garage. A few bucks for caulk (sealing) and glue and salvaged sheetrock screws and the basic sub was complete. It is driven by a salvaged 120W plate amp slightly modified for better low end response.

Though I don't really have a measuring setup the output is solid down to the 20s and a 10Hz test tone was clearly felt without having to crank the power. Certainly isn't perfect but the value is pretty good I think.

One of the things I really like is that it is a very thin package that doesn't impinge on the floor space but has considerable volume.

mike

Attachments

• fireplacesub.jpg
    fireplacesub.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 671
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Peerless XXLS 12" 830952 (Alu cone, but spayed in black here) to support Klein+Hummel O300 active studio monitors

One (unseen) speciality of these CB subwoofers is that the mdf cabinet walls are lined inside with heavy ceramic tiles to add mass and stiffness.

- Klaus (those aren't mine, they were built and are used by a friend)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=115524

Over the years.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.