• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hornshoppe Speakers with Cube and ESS Heils

Moving from two homes to one necessitates that I sell the smaller of my two speaker systems. For sale is my Hornshoppe “The Horn” complete speaker system. These speakers are so efficient that they sound more than loud enough to me in an 11ft X 15ft room powered by a 1.5 watt/channel DIY tube amplifier. The speakers consist of:

The Horn speakers $450obo ($925 current new price)
The Cube base enhancer with Dayton Audio APA150 crossover/amp $300obo ($575 new)
ESS Great Heil $450obo ($700 in 2012)
The Horn –> Heil crossover – included free with The Horns ($75 in Erse & Auricap parts)

More about the Horns: The laminar finish has striped lines (referred to as “beauty marks” by Ed Schilling) that also appear in the cube. The speakers were upgraded to the Fostex FE126en, but one of the center domes was dented in by a grandchild. I couldn’t hear any sound difference, but I wanted to point out the defect. Matched replacement pairs are available from Ed Schilling for $100/pr.

the horn shoppe

Attachments

• Hornshoppe speakers.JPG
    Hornshoppe speakers.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 234
  • ESS Heil.JPG
    ESS Heil.JPG
    498.4 KB · Views: 241
  • V2-1.JPG
    V2-1.JPG
    671.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Moving from two homes to one necessitates that I sell the smaller of my two speaker systems. For sale is my Hornshoppe “The Horn” complete speaker system. These speakers are so efficient that they sound more than loud enough to me in an 11ft X 15ft room powered by a 1.5 watt/channel DIY tube amplifier. The speakers consist of:

The Horn speakers $450obo ($925 current new price)
The Cube base enhancer with Dayton Audio APA150 crossover/amp $300obo ($575 new)
ESS Great Heil $450obo ($700 in 2012)
The Horn –> Heil crossover – included free with The Horns ($75 in Erse & Auricap parts)

More about the Horns: The laminar finish has striped lines (referred to as “beauty marks” by Ed Schilling) that also appear in the cube. The speakers were upgraded to the Fostex FE126en, but one of the center domes was dented in by a grandchild. I couldn’t hear any sound difference, but I wanted to point out the defect. Matched replacement pairs are available from Ed Schilling for $100/pr.

the horn shoppe
Hi carlsor,
I've been trying to find the schematic of the horn>Heil crossover. I tried it out once, but lost the schematic and now the Hornshoppe forum's old posts have been lost and I can't track it down. Do you still have either the crossovers or the schematic?
Thanks,
Pete

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Simple first order series XO. Not very well drawn. Given the near ruler flat impedance of the Heil. The impedance near 1kHz (where i understand the XO is) is also (relatively) flat so the XO should work well. Except. A quick look at Bagby’s Passive XO designer, the cap size seems near a factor of 10 too small.

Someone better at XO sims than i should have a look at it. DaveR?

dave