horn sub(s) for WE13a horns?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking something like a shortened version of the "Spiral Bass horn" or a lengthened version of the "60hz crescent bass horn"
Both horns listed here:
inlowsound.com

The third option would be to place the Pi12 basshorns a bit further away -- I have a spot for them in my room. (as hollowboy suggested)

Thanks guys for the advice so far. To be continued...

This 14 ft long horn will be a folded or curled type. Also, I plan to have it by at least two surfaces of the room:
wall+floor or maybe even two walls+floor. In other words, it can be close to a corner.

It may actually face the corner or face the room and be within 2ft of the corner.

So that hopefully clarifies the horns location in the listening room. Will I still need ~41.43 ft perimeter mouth?

Herman

~1130/2/14, full size mouth = ~40 Hz, set on a sufficiently large/hard surface = 40*0.707 = ~28.3 Hz, floor/wall = ~20 Hz, firing into a corner = ~14.14 Hz. Of course each scenario requires a different flare factor, frequency horn design and the lower it goes the more the room's modes will impact performance since these wall expansions are much 'faster' [conical], so will increase its pass band 'ripple', reduce low end loading, so a little less efficient, -5 dB/30 Hz/1pi calculated with Eso size mouth.

A 40 Hz mouth = 28.25 ft/4 ~7.06 ft square, or 2x Eso's 30 Hz mouth, making it as Hollowboy said, ~chest high. ;)

If this is too big, then halving the mouth = 40*1.4142 = ~56.57 Hz = ~20 ft/4 = ~5 ft square, the smallest I recommend for a 14 ft long horn, but if still too big, then halving it again = 40*2 = 80 Hz = ~14.13 ft/4 = Eso's ~3.53 ft square mouth.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.