Horn (Driver) for phone use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all diyAudio forum users.

I'm a new user and came here to learn.
I got a great opportunity to use wood work tools upcoming week, specially small lathe and I have an idea of making horn driver (or is the proper name just horn) for phone use can be materialized.
I got the idea from Volta Sound Block.
Volta-Sound-Block-740x402.jpg

As I only have this weekend to learn what I need to know and knowing I wont be able to do, so I turn to you and ask from you dimensions and shapes of the horn. I understand the limits of phone loudspeaker has and I am not trying to archieve anything out of what it can produce.
The lathe I can use allow about 20cm/8" diameter horn mouth, on length wise I can go up to 30-40cm/12-16", most limiting factor is reach inside with blade/cutter tool.

Idea is to make straight horn that has block in the small end to hold phone. Into speaker end I wish to make about 5-10mm/3/16" to 7/16" hole for speaker and the horn opening would be the said 20cm/8".

So, please, all ideas, advices and quidelines are most welcome.

Cheers
Samuli

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
These iPhone horns have been cropping up all over the place lately and I have to say that one one-hand, it is a great idea but at the same time, for the money they charge and how bulky these are getting, you are better off plugging in a super compact 3 watt $8 collapsible rechargeable speaker that sound amazing.

Given that you still probably want to make the horn, the idea is to get a smooth expansion from the speaker port to the outside world to reduce the impedance mismatch. Since this is a full range front horn, the internal walls should be as smooth as possible to avoid low pass filtering the output sound. The volume gain will be approximately the area expansion ratio you get. Avoid sharp corners or turns in the design, and coil it if needed to keep overall dimensions small. A cornu type spiral may work and also serve as the base/dock to place phone on top. I may just make that out of foam core - an iPhone Cornu!

You may want to start with a foam core prototype first to determine optimum geometry then make it out of wood. Foam core can make fantastic smooth bends.k

Good luck! :)

By the way, I have cut a slit in the bottom of a tall (8 in) McD's coffee foam cup (paper faced) and slid my iPhone in there and it amplifies the sound quite well and doubles as a stand to allow phone to sit on edge to aim sound out parallel to tabletop...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.