Horizontal MTM vs TM for centre channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to be building a matching 5.1 kit.

I'm using 7"/22mm/7" MTM for left and right channels

with matching 22mm/7" TM bookshelves for the rear surrounds.

Would I be better off using a third MTM placed horizontally, or a third TM bookshelf upright for use as the centre channel?

Trusty internet tells me that I could take the MTM, rotate the tweeter and space the woofers less than one wavelength apart, center to center to help solve the issue. A crossover frequency to the tweeter at 1600 hz gives a wavelength of 8.5 inches. However, Cannot fit two 7" drivers 8.5" apart centre to centre, and still have room for the tweeter.

If I am going to spend cash, this is what I am trying to avoid

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Is this a big enough problem to warrant using a single matching bookshelf as the centre as opposed to an additional horizontal MTM? or will the higher SPL from the horizontal MTM be the better choice? what will provide a more consistent, enjoyable soundstage?

I'm a pure noob. Thanks for reading. As always, I appreciate the input.

A normal TM will work find (tweet on top, mid-woofer below). Dispersion is typically best at or below tweeter axis.

The issue with MTM designs is off-axis dispersion. Kind of depends how big a theater you have though. If you have 1-2 seats you need to cover it's fine.

This is why you'll sometimes see a mid-tweeter array in the center, flanked by woofers. Lets the vertical array go lower, avoiding off-axis issues from the flanking woofers in the voice area.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.