HOPI HP-9800 Wattmeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased several versions of the HOPI HP-9800 meters, 2 of them have USB monitoring. They are very nice cost effective instruments and work very well, however they need a a change for use in the USA and some other countries.

DANGER: The LINE (HOT) & N (NETURAL) are reversed. The standard universal connector is marked for some countries other than USA. Many adapters are not correct and will keep the L & N reversed.

The 2 of the meters I received had no molded USA plugs installed and one had a molded China connector.

I change all of my meters to match USA AC power. I hope this will help others
Duke

Attachments

• HOPI HP-9800 014.JPG
    HOPI HP-9800 014.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 190
  • HOPI HP-9800 001.JPG
    HOPI HP-9800 001.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 149
  • HOPI HP-9800 013.JPG
    HOPI HP-9800 013.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 157

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That all-plugs outlet looks like a disaster.

If you are truly competent to work with wall-power, you could possibly DIY a better box. That exact power-meter display is ALL over eBay. I can't find it ATM, but samples of similar parts:

100A AC LCD Panel Digital Power Watt Meter Monitor Voltage KWh Voltmeter Ammeter

Digital AC 100A Power KWh Watt Meter Volt Amp Voltmeter Ammeter Open Close CT US

100A AC Digital Power KWh Watt Meter Volt Amp Dual measurement of AC voltage

AC 80-300V LCD Digital Voltmeter Ammeter Volt Amp Power Kwh Panel Meter 100A CT

100A Digital AC Voltmeter ammeter + power factor + active + energy + frequency

LED Multi-Function DIN RAIL Volt AMP Meter Active Power Factor 220V 230V BI629 (DIN mount)

Digital AC100-300V BLUE LCD DISPLAY PANEL VOLT/AMP meter WITH SPLIT 0-100A CT

I bought two of that last one (just V and A, no KWh or PF) to monitor my whole-house power situation. (I get deep sags, but almost exactly explained by a too-long line from the street.) I mounted them in a plastic J-box, the doughnuts in the entrance box. AFAICT they read spot-on. After 2 years the LED backlight on one failed (it was flaky from new) so I got two more as spares.

None of these do USB, if that is critical.

Last edited:
Hi PRR

Thanks for your input. I bought the meters to use in a production test. I need to input the values into the computer log as part of a product test. The USB made it simple to capture the data. The operator will not look @ the display of the meter only the computer screen as PASS or FAIL.

I have much better devices for my test bench, however many are not computer controlled.
Duke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.