Home Wound Audio Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a brain thumper. What are the ins and outs of transformer design and manufacture, specifically relating to frequency response curves, voltage/power handling, stepping ratios, impedances, etc?

Relating to ESL step up transformers (though really this would apply to tube amp step down trannies, too), how feasible is it to home build these things?

What's the max stepping ratio you can theoretically expect a transformer to give in this application? What're the limiting factors on that ratio?

What's the difference between toroidal and square wrapped (I+E) construction, and how difficult are these to build, respectively?

What are the advantages of multiple secondaries / primaries; why are most ESL transformers not just 1 primary and 1 secondary?

These are all the questions that I can come up with on short notice, if theres anything I missed, please dont hesitate to bring it up. What I'm really looking for here are resources and input from the collective experience this group represents. Thanks for any help on this one.
- Jonathan

I can't comment on the specifics of transformers. But I have decades of experience winding my own inductors. And it's not as easy as one might think. It's not possible to do large one's by hand. They just can't be made tight enough. I have a hand-me-down power winder that does a very good job. I make very large inductors using just the "E" part of a transformer lamination. This increases the difficulty even more, especially if there is any deforming of the bobbin during the winding.

I'd say that given my experience winding inductors even with the power winder, that multiple tap transformers are best left to the pros.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.