Home subwoofer - bandpass front, open back, 18" woofer.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have a pair of relatively cheap 18" woofers. I have used one in a MEH as the bass part for quite a while with open back and I liked it. The new round MEH will not play as low, but I thought I might use these in a sort of bandpass sub, but with open back - like on the large MEH. The Hornresp record is attached. It needs some eq, but compared to a simple H baffle or a bass reflex box of the same dimensions, I get more efficiency and acoustic bandpass filtering as a bonus. It comes with the cost of boosting the low end need and needing more amplifier power and not much output below some 35 Hz. Amplifier is not a problem and it did not play lower in the MEH anyway, so this seems like a good compromise.

The plan is to have a simple 60 x 60 x 66 cm (OD) box serving as a stand for the round MEH. Would any other enclosure style in this volume have some advantages?

Attachments

• Bandbpass01.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 90
1706649708194.png

wow, that open back/resonator sure makes a difference!

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
By moving the baffle backwards a bit, I can get some really low tones, still within safe limits of the driver and with a little gain compared to a standard BR, not even mentioning H-baffle.

1706654350687.png

The only thing I am afraid of is the port noise, the area is a bit too small I think.

Attachments

• Bandpass02.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
View attachment 1267171
too big with the larger/longer port??
This looks almost like moving to Paraflex territory. The folding is smart - I could also make a side firing port like I did with my 15OB350 box.

@L.rivera92172 A PR of this size is pretty expensive. But it is definitely a good idea to make the prototype tuneable.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have found out that I have pre-cut some 18 mm chipboard while preparing another project for a 12" DVC woofer (inspired by PPD subwoofer). So I actually changed the plan and will try to build a test box with the 12". Inspired by @Booger weldz , I changed the layout of the front port. The woofer will be mouted facing the "horn" part. The "horn" part should add a bit of output compared to a bass reflex of the same volume. The low end will be equalized based on in room measurement of the box built. It is smaller, the output is at 200 W.

1706811689632.png

This is the layout of the front port

1706811898914.png

Attachments

• 12DVCBandPass.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: 1 user